Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs and Turkey Breast Dizzy Pig Style

Options
Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
Like many of you I like to take full advantage of the weekend and plan a fun meal for friends and family. Even after big cooks for Mardi Gras and Valentines day this past week we decided it had been long enough and it was time for some ribs! 

Like most eggheads I went to the pantry to decide what rub to throw on the ribs:

We decided to do some Car Wash Mike's Baby Back Rib Class and use Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust. This method is close to our normal one but we decided to go the whole way and follow his guidelines. Carwash Mike was a Egghead that was known for his ribs, unfortunately he isn't with us anymore. I never got the privilege to meet him, but his rib method lives on in his name! 

After a run to sams on friday we were ready to go. 

The membrane was pulled off of the bone side and the Dizzy Dust was rubbed in.

On the meat side we put on mustard and then used the Dizzy Dust per CarWash Mike 
Once the egg was stabilized at 225° using the DigiQ we threw in some apple and cherry wood chips, about a large handful of each and mixed it into the lump. 

Plate setter legs up with a drip rack underneath then the grid and the ribs start out on the rib rack.

After the 1st hour the ribs get a spritz of Apple Juice and continue every hour until done. 
Time to sit down on the porch and just enjoy the smell of the egg doing its magic. We just got the fountain to the left of the pergola last week and think it fits in nicely with the BBQ / Patio area. 

Here is a peek while spritzing at the 2 hour mark. 

While the ribs were smoking away we decided to make Steven Raichlen's Best Barbecue Baked Beans on the Planet  
First the bacon 

Then the peppers and onions
Mix in the rest of ingredients and let it get happy. 

Time to hydrate! Trying out a local beer from Mustang Brewing 

It was almost the 3 hour mark and we wanted to toss in a turkey breast for lunches next week. We went with Tony Chachere's injectables butter and Dizzy Pig Shakin' the Tree rub. 

Now it was time to put on the top tier in the swing rack and spritz the ribs in apple juice again. 
3 hours bumped temp up to 300°

It still fits with the rib rack! woohoo! 

At 3 1/2 hours into the cook we took the ribs out of the rack and laid them down on the grid bone side up. 

Then at the 4 hour mark we flipped the ribs over and glazed them with Head Country barbecue sauce. 
It got dark, so I had to use the flash for this picture but they were looking perfect! 

They turned out great, had a nice smoke ring, and were still moist! Halfway through my meal I heard the DigiQ beeping and pulled the turkey off at 162° It was just under two hours on the top of the swing rack. 

Plated with some red skin potato salad and macaroni salad. 

These were the best ones yet and we will be making these again! I think CarWash Mike was looking down on us with a smile today! 
Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    That looks awesome.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Fantastic. I did these yesterday as well, minus the mustard(thought I had yellow at home so I didn't get any, oops) This is a great recipe for sticky ribs. 
  • Solson005
    Options
    @Eggcelsior it was the link you posted earlier in the week that made me go for it, Thanks! 

Thanks @canegger it was! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited February 2013
    Options

Man, your talkin my language. Those turkey breasts are good arent they? Did two of them yesterday, Im sure you saw my post. Ribs look great. Baby backs are going to be the inaugural cook when I get the egg in my table. Everything looks great man!

How's that Fajitaish stuff? I have been wanting to try it.

• Solson005
    Options
    @Plano_JJ Thanks! Turkey breasts are so easy and make for such good sandwiches for the week. I need to get a slicer but the electric knife works for now. That will be a good cook to kick off your new area! 

I put it on a Tri-Tip and it was awesome! I have yet to try it on anything else, but will be doing so soon..
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Oh my -- we should have all been at your house this weekend!  Fantastic cooks! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options

Awesome looking food. Great job explaining the process and using pictures. I just wish I was there. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Solson005
    Options
    @NecessaryIndulg @six_egg I will send you a evite next time! Thank you  :D
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks awesome!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Solson005
    Options
    Thanks @Griffin I've been waiting for a nice weekend to make some ribs. Even though it snowed around midnight on friday, it was all melted before we fired up the egg around two. 
  • Solson005
    Options
    I just had the best leftovers, I am one happy egghead! \:D/
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    I see you likes the Ozark Oak too, best stuff I ever tried. 
  • Solson005
    Options
    @Plano_JJ other than the bag of BGE I got with my small egg its all I ever use. I love it and after hearing everybody else it seems to be some top tier stuff. My BGE dealer always has it so I don't even stock up on it. But I've been cooking outside so much I actually bought two bags last week.  :)>-
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited February 2013
    Options

Ribs are my weakness and will always be. I so enjoy reading/seeing them made. Not to mention eating them. :)

Have a comment though.

Have tried cryopacs from Sams/Costco and fresh from grocery like publix. There is a HUGE difference when I buy from Publix. HUGE!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Solson005
    edited February 2013
    Options
    @Aviator I wish we had a publix, we just got the 2nd whole foods in the state two years ago. Oklahoma law says you can't sell wine / good beer unless its at a liquor store so we don't have very many of the good grocery stores here. These tasty ribs will have to do for the meantime, so far so good!
  • mteele
    mteele Posts: 48
    Options
    Who did your custom handle on the egg? Any better pictures of it? And how we're the beans? Look really good. I have a recipe for cowboy beans from Rick Bayless that are awesome. http://thefridayfriends.blogspot.com/2012/04/mexican-cowboy-beans-with-rick-bayless.html Envious of the swing grate...can't decide between that or a true cast iron replacement....what made you pick that one?
  • Solson005
    Options
    His site is called Danny's Carvings  He does great work and is very easy to help get the handle you want. Lots of guys have college logos and really like them. This was a drawing my sister made of a Koi, I like it tying back in with the ancient asian kamado cooker from years ago and cooking with fire. 

The beans are awesome we make them all the time and usually have somebody ask for the recipe after the party. I will have to give your recipe a try. I am a big fan of Rick bayless, he came and did a celebrity cooking demo a couple weeks ago and put on a good show. I've been to two of his restaurants and make his recipes all the time. 

The easy access to the two tiers was the selling point, I like to be able to flip wings, burgers, whatever and the other options just can't move that easily. Coming from cooking on a gasser the large egg is quite a bit smaller for making sides and I love having the second level. It being made of carbon steel was just a big bonus for me. It works great to sear steaks and then move it up top to finish or make burgers and sweet potato fries at the same time. 

Plus it allowed me to throw a turkey breast in with my ribs and use the same amount of lump in this cook! I am a big fan of its simplicity and function.