Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Manly q(uiche)

That's right. I made some manly 'que tonight... I made me a quiche! Disclaimer: the title has nothing to do with the fabled mangrates... carp... this thread is about to get derailed pretty fast now.

The goal was to use up a bunch of stuff in the fridge - a pie crust leftover form when my sister made some pies, some crumbled feta from pizza night, a bunch of spinach, some random sundried tomatoes and other odds and ends. 

I tried to make a healthy quiche, so started with some turkey bacon (from the back of the freezer) in the CI skillet, with some olive oil and fresh cracked pepper:

Next sauteed 1 chopped leek and 1 chopped up fennel bulb. Added a few cloves of garlic too:

Wilted the spinach:

And mixed it all together to let it get friendly for a bit:

Then it was time to blind bake the pie crust. Fired up the egg to about 375°F and let it go for about 10mins.
\

Mixed up 1 cup of 1%milk and 3 eggs ( I like my quiche eggy - the recipe called for 2), with salt, pepper, cayenne, and cumin. Added the veggie mix to the pie dish. Poured the egg and milk mix on top then finished decorating the quiche. i'm a big believer in quiche art, so it has to look nice. This may not have been my best effort, but it used up the tomato and bell pepper I found.

In the LBGE at 375-400°F for about 50mins or so until the quiche set up nicely. Set it up with a grate on the fire ring, a clay saucer as a diffuser, 2 bricks wrapped in foil, then another grate. Set a pizza stone with clay feet on top of the felt level grate, then topped it all off with yet another pizza stone. Why all this stuff? because I needed somewhere to put it all and figured I wanted to get the quiche up in the dome as much as I could with what I had laying around.

Forgot to add the feta scraps into the mix so they got sprinkled on top because I was determined to use them up

The taste of this quiche was very good, but surprising. The flavors blended together in a very balanced savory way. I thought the fennel would stand out but it didn't, which was good. The cumin came through well, and i'm glad I added it.

Turned out to be a great dinner, somewhat different from what we usually eat, and it was much healthier than most quiche recipes - no butter, no cream, no real bacon, very little cheese. I know - I left out all the fun stuff. 

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Looks great...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • my mouth is watering from your pictures, I'm not sure how the "fun" stuff would have helped.

Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    my mouth is watering from your pictures, I'm not sure how the "fun" stuff would have helped.

Well, it would taste different ( richer and more creamy) but for the savings in fat grams, etc. I'll take my version!

I have the body of a model - problem is that its like one of  Rubens' models - so every little bit helps.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.