Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Wok for large

What are the recommendations for a wok on the large? Carbon steel of course. 1. Size? 2. Long handle or "D" handles? I see a lot of D Handle models on the forum, but am strangely attracted towards the long handle models. Looking for experienced input. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,841
    edited February 2013
    The best way to wok on a large is get a Spider from the ceramic grill store. The 16" wok is perfect for the large. I have a 30+ year old carbon steel one with the "helper handle" and highly recommend the handle, especially since you are leaning toward it already. I recently got a 12" wok for my small egg, I got it from the wok shop in San Francisco and am very pleased, I went with the metal d handles not knowing how far the wok would sit in the smaller egg. I am very happy with the quality of the wok, but wish I would have gone with the wooden handle. It makes it much easier to transfer food to a bowl without having to work quickly before the welding gloves get too hot.The wok shop knows about eggheads and is great to work with. I think they will even season your wok for a small fee if you ask over the phone. Here is what it looks like sitting in the spider on my large. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,611
    edited February 2013

On my large I either use a 14" with "D" handles or a 14" with a wood handle, The opposite side handle I cut off years ago after the wood portion burned.I use the wood handled one with the spider legs in high positon.  I feel that the wood handle one gives me better control over the wok. The "D" when I am using a bamboo steamer basket so I can close the lid.  Here is a link about woks that may give you some ideas.  Let's Wok & Woll!

Type in "wok" in the "search" field top right and there is lots of good info.

• Thanks to both of you. Kinda confirms what I was looking at @ the wok shop and cgs. I feel much more comfortable about the purchase now. I really felt the hanlde would be a big plus but wasn't sure how it would fit. Now I know. Thanks again!
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited February 2013
    I have both styles. My wooden handled wok is 14", and I mostly use it indoors, or on the turkey fryer burner outside. Also have a 16" D handled wok that I use on the Egg.

The spider from CGS makes it really easy to wok on the egg whatever style wok you choose.