Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spit setup for egg?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Looking to do some greek lamb this weekend . . Any ideas for simple "spit" setup? Maybe something that I could rotate?
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Mama Roneck
    Options
    We do whole legs of lamb on our large, but never rotate it and it comes out near perfect as long as you keep the lid down and let the convection and heat from the dome do it's thing.

We do Greek style (I guess).  Paste of olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary and lemon rubbed on liberally, then cook indirect at 375 to 400 until 135 internal, then rest for about 20 min. 
    Mamaroneck
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Great, that sounds like my end goal - so ill go with it, thanks!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    check out @Zippylip 's post Gyros, a blow by blow - vertical spit Its on my todo list but I haven't made it yet.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Check out this guy's mod:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=S_Ss4xApsDY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=S_Ss4xApsDY

Watch his other vids too - he has done some cool stuff.

About the vertical spit- cool idea indeed, but the zinc plated gear makes me wonder. It could be stripped off if you have muriatic acid handy.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    Options
    @caliking that guy has done some crazy stuff. I watched a bunch and then saw he converted a bge to gas and snapped back to reality. The spit idea is great just find a post that works for you. I'm sure you could use that method with your metal of choice. I will get to a version of it once the weather stays nice and make a party out of it. 

Now I'll probably watch youtube big green egg stuff till I fall asleep.. haha
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    caliking said:
    Check out this guy's mod: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=S_Ss4xApsDY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=S_Ss4xApsDY Watch his other vids too - he has done some cool stuff. About the vertical spit- cool idea indeed, but the zinc plated gear makes me wonder. It could be stripped off if you have muriatic acid handy.
    i had seen his dome adjustment video but i got watching other ones, guy is a mad scientist of outdoor cookers.  2 hours of videos and i have barely cracked the surface!!!!
  • Solson005
    Options
    U_tarded said:

caliking said:

Check out this guy's mod:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=S_Ss4xApsDY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=S_Ss4xApsDY

Watch his other vids too - he has done some cool stuff.

About the vertical spit- cool idea indeed, but the zinc plated gear makes me wonder. It could be stripped off if you have muriatic acid handy.

i had seen his dome adjustment video but i got watching other ones, guy is a mad scientist of outdoor cookers.  2 hours of videos and i have barely cracked the surface!!!!

I'm right there with you. That slow close lid is pretty sweet.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I think it is possible to set up supports or brackets outside the egg, if your egg is in a table, so that the rotisserie rod just clears the rim of the egg's base. Place a small piece of wood maybe to prevent the lid from closing all the way. That way the rod would have enough room to turn. I might try this sometime.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    Options
    Just ran across something interesting from the Naked Whiz he has a link from Sperko Engineering Services saying that Zinc doesn't vaporize until approximately 1,650°F 

zippylip never said it was zinc coated, that was someone assuming that it was and everybody else ran with it, so I think this is your best bet @NDG or atleast something to think about.