Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

for those of you with tables for your egg,,

smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I like the idea of a table for the egg. More prep area, storage for tools etc. What do people do when not using the egg. Can you cover the egg properly with a cover? I realized I have been blessed living in a cooler, wetter climate than a lot of you out there. So maybe it isn't something that many of you have to deal with. For those unfortunates that get rained upon, what say you?? :-/
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    I keep my XL in a nest with a cover on it when not in use. Here in FL. the cover protects it from the sun as well. I have an old computer desk with an all weather tablecloth on it. That is on the deck and under the eave so I have a fairly protected work space as well. Every thing else is stored inside on a set of 24x48x 60 set of plastic shelves. Still a work in progress.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I had John at Coverworks make the cover for my table.  You will not find a better cover.  You can get his contact info off the Naked Whiz site.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Smokey,

I think you asked two questions, 1) table and 2)cover.

When we rebuilt our garage, I designed an overhang that would house my two Eggs.  Works great.  I have a ceiling fan to blow smoke away if I am doing smoking, and I never worry about inclement weather.

I bought my tables from the Big Green Egg.  Very soon, I realized that the wood top is subject to stain and grunge.  So, I tiled it and now it cleans very easily.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394

Nice setup Village...I think I am going to tile my large table and the one I am about to build for my medium.  Then I need to hookup with John for covers for both. 

:D
  • VI I was asking about both a table and cover. Up here in Canada it rains from about mid-Oct -April (Yes that does suck) My deck has a small over hang but by the time I get table and 6 chairs plus a table for the egg, I could over populate the deck. I was wanting to see how I would protect the egg and table from the elements.
    BTW. Going to cook up some pizza with egg roll wraps tonight. Thanks for the tip!
    =D>
    Large, small, and a mini
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    I bought a generic cover from Lowes and it works great.  It is waterproof and seems to be holding up well against the elements.  The dimensions for the cover are probably 10" larger than my table, but it fits fine.  My table is 60" long by 26" deep by 32" high.  I built it loosely  based on the dimensions of the Large BGE table, but added my own style elements.  The generic cover is priced such that I won't feel bad if it wears out in a year or two.  I'll replace it with another one.
  • You don't really need to "protect" the Egg - the table, yes. But the Egg, no. Some folks who live in areas w/ large amounts of snow keep their Eggs uncovered, and cook on them, ALL YEAR ROUND! :-)

Currently I don't cover my Egg, but should be finishing up my table in the next few weekends, and when I do, I'll probably get a cover (not so much to protect the Egg, mind you, but to protect all the work that I've put into making the table)!! heh
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited February 2012
    Wisconsin resident here.
    I don't cover my egg at all and it doesn't appear to have suffered whatsoever.
    I build my table out of concrete and brick so I wouldn't have to worry about it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• John Ross
    John Ross Posts: 49
    edited February 2012
    You don't really need to "protect" the Egg - the table, yes. But the Egg, no. Some folks who live in areas w/ large amounts of snow keep their Eggs uncovered, and cook on them, ALL YEAR ROUND! :-)

Currently I don't cover my Egg, but should be finishing up my table in the next few weekends, and when I do, I'll probably get a cover (not so much to protect the Egg, mind you, but to protect all the work that I've put into making the table)!! heh
    A real good point. I always covered my small BGE from the elements. At the start of last winter my son borrowed the cover that was on it and I failed to really notice til spring rolled around. It went pretty much the entire winter getting rained on. I can see no visible damage, rust or anything.
  • VI, did you use any backer board under the tile? Or did you grout it directly to the wood top?
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    I sized my table to have the same measurements as the stock Egg table so that I could use the BGE cover, which is not waterproof incidently. I was more interested in sun protection than rain since it was made from cypress and several coats of poly applied before and after assembly. 

If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Wisconsin resident here.
    I don't cover my egg at all and it doesn't appear to have suffered whatsoever.
    I build my table out of concrete and brick so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Choke, you have pics of that table. I want to make mine out of concrete and stone, so ideas on structurecwould be helpful.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • VI, did you use any backer board under the tile? Or did you grout it directly to the wood top?
    Actually, I had it done, but yes, he used a backer board on top of the wood.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

Actually, I had it done, but yes, he used a backer board on top of the wood.
    Thanks, I'm thinking of doing the same to mine. They look good and bet they are a lot easier to clean.
  • VI - nice texas sconce lighting there...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• That's a beautiful setup.
    Living the good life in MACDonna
  • The BGE's are nice but that clock is Great!
    Living the good life in MACDonna
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited February 2012

Choke, you have pics of that table. I want to make mine out of concrete and stone, so ideas on structure would be helpful.

Chubbs, here's a picture.   This can be done by anyone (I knew nothing about concrete or brick when I started this project).  I poured the countertop and shelves with the help of a neighbor.  The rest is just bricks stacked and glued together with "mason glue".

iimage

Packerland, Wisconsin

• One arguement in favor of a cover in colder climates is in instances where the egg gets exposed to rain followed by a good cold snap.  I have heard of several incidents of rain running down the egg and getting into the gasket and subsequently freezing the whole thing shut.  Not a catastrophe, but it can sure slow things down if you have to thaw it out before you can use it!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Bump!

@ChokeOnSmoke, would you be willing to give me more info on that stone table? That looks really, really nice. How did you make the countertop? My wife and I are about to spruce up our patio with some acid staining, and I would love to add a table similar to yours for the BGE.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Dyal_SC said:

Bump!

@ChokeOnSmoke, would you be willing to give me more info on that stone table? That looks really, really nice. How did you make the countertop? My wife and I are about to spruce up our patio with some acid staining, and I would love to add a table similar to yours for the BGE.

Nice! Dyal, figure out how to do it then you can help me do mine B-)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I get a lot of snow and rain where i am. I dont cover mine but like gannoncp said the moisture will freeze your gasket together sometimes. So if you are somewhere that gets cold enough i would try something to cover it
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited February 2013
    Dyal_SC said:
    Bump! @ChokeOnSmoke, would you be willing to give me more info on that stone table? That looks really, really nice. How did you make the countertop? My wife and I are about to spruce up our patio with some acid staining, and I would love to add a table similar to yours for the BGE.
    Hey,
    The countertop is poured concrete.  Just made a simple form out of melamine board 2' deep.
    Bought a few bags of "countertop concrete", mixed it in a wheelbarrow and dumped it in.
    Here it is "setting up" updside down on top of the brick structure. After a few day, we took the boards apart and flipped it over.

I documented the whole process, if you need any details, let me know.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• I bought a outdoor furniture cover for my table.
  • OziEgg
    OziEgg Posts: 48
    I leave the Egg uncovered to fend for itself. So far so good.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    BGE makes a beanie top cover to cover the dome down just past the gasket. For those in cold climates it can be useful. FYI