Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Espresso Art

I've been making my own double espresso every morning for a couple of years now and have tried making rosettas with little to no success.  A couple of days ago I got close but would love to be able to do this every time.  Any one else try this or have tips?

Comments

• CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Great job on the art. I've had some success with hearts, the leaf is a hit and miss for me. I think if you froth to much it kills it during the pour, if the milk is more of liquid consistency with a slight froth it'll be a better pour.

A good espresso and a cigar is great way to relax. No question.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    A lot of folks I have spoken to about this all say they learnt from you tube videos.
    Lynnwood WA
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Looks better than what I do.  Is that maybe a latte. I make a latte every morning for my wife and an Americano for myself.  I bought our first espresso machine 12 or 13 years ago with it I bought the job of making our morning java.

Gerhard
  • Thanks guys and I have watched a ton of videos on-line and they make it look a LOT easier than putting it into practice :)

Gerhard, yeah it's more of a Macchiato than anything else, I pull a double shot then add about 1oz of steamed milk.

Mark

• CGW1
    Couldn't agree more...those videos make it look like its easy....I guess after a while it would be but till then...it's another story
  • I would agree that it's closer to a machiatto. A latte would have a lot more milk than that.

Soo many video's on latte art....never tried any art with a machiatto, usually do just a dollop of really smooth micro-foam on mine. I'll have to try it with my next one....just checked, and there a plenty of videos for machiatto art too.

I used to be somewhat of a coffe-geek......roasting beans at home, and spending waay too much money on grinders, espresso machines, etc....I almost put a PID on my espresso machine, but just never got around to it. I don't have time to roast at home anymore, so I either buy fresh beans online, or get them from a local roaster.

And I agree @CGW1, a really good shot pairs nicely with a cigar or a pipe.

• CGW1
    @alebrewer, I luckily purchased the breville dual boiler last yr, comes equipped with a PID, I'm always tweaking. Getting ready to pull a mid day shot as I type.
  • Really?.....you had to tell me that?  I'm very jealous!  My next machine will a dbl boiler for sure!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    CGW1 said:
    Great job on the art. I've had some success with hearts, the leaf is a hit and miss for me. I think if you froth to much it kills it during the pour, if the milk is more of liquid consistency with a slight froth it'll be a better pour. A good espresso and a cigar is great way to relax. No question.
    Nothing like caffeine and nicotine to wind down.......   ;)
  • CGW1
    @AleBrewer....I've got a unit at the shop as well as home, can never stray far from my coffee drinks!!! dbl boiler without a doubt the way to go.  The breville unit offers a lot of bang for your buck.
  • CGW1
    @Eggcelsior....you got that right....nice pipe or a good cigar perfect combo
  • CGW1 said:
    @AleBrewer....I've got a unit at the shop as well as home, can never stray far from my coffee drinks!!! dbl boiler without a doubt the way to go.  The breville unit offers a lot of bang for your buck.
    You're killing me here!

I travel quite a bit for work...all over the country. And I'd love to have a machine/grinder with me. Maybe I should get a new machine for home, and bring the old one on the road..... I also have a cheapo Solis Maestro just sitting up in the attic gathering dust.....that would work ok as a travel grinder.
  • CGW1
    I saw a post on one of the news RSS i get....FIAT was considering installing a mini espresso machine in their car.  How cool would that be!!  I'll try and find that post.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I drive a Fiat, it wasn't an option yet.  ;)  We have DeLonghi Magnifica espresso machine, built in grinder so the espresso making is fully automated but you still require to froth the milk with the wand yourself.  It also has two boilers so switching between water and steam is a no wait situation.

Gerhard
  • CGW1
    DeLonghi puts out a nice product.  I'm more the into the barista part of the espresso making.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/07/fiat-offers-in-car-espresso-maker-for-doppio-on-the-go/1#.UR6MePK3N8E

follow the link to see espresso machine in FIAT

• Eggcelsior
    I so want one of those for my commuter car. I wonder if it will come in diesel.
  • CGW1
    I'm curious as to how well it works
  • That's interesting for sure, but I'll pass on the Lavazza pods ....wonder if Ducati will ever have one?

My sister has a full auto machine, I think it's a Jura-Capresso....it works well for her. The full auto's are nice for sure.  I myself like to mess around with grind settings, tamp pressures, etc...

• CGW1 said:
    Great job on the art. I've had some success with hearts, the leaf is a hit and miss for me. I think if you froth to much it kills it during the pour, if the milk is more of liquid consistency with a slight froth it'll be a better pour. A good espresso and a cigar is great way to relax. No question.
    Nothing like caffeine and nicotine to wind down.......   ;)

Just to note, when cigar tobacco is cured the nicotine is naturally dissipated, unlike cigarettes.  When's the last time you saw anyone rushing off an airplane, then darting outside to smoke a cigar? :)
  • Eggcelsior
    If there is a golf course next door.
  • I use a La Faema machine I purchased in Italy in 1977 and it is still going strong.  It came with a grinder that has an almost infinite number of settings for grind size.  A buddy has a Nespresso machine that is not too expensive and makes the best cup of Espresso I have had in a while.  It uses the little cups much like Kuerig only better.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Eggcelsior
    I use a La Faema machine I purchased in Italy in 1977 and it is still going strong.  It came with a grinder that has an almost infinite number of settings for grind size.  A buddy has a Nespresso machine that is not too expensive and makes the best cup of Espresso I have had in a while.  It uses the little cups much like Kuerig only better.
    I had the "privilege" of having a Williams-Sonoma rep offer my wife a Nespresso sample. Guess what she picked out for herself  for her birthday?.... I went with the Delonghi Latissima + since it has a steam function for latte/cappuccino. It does make an great espresso with 19 bars of pressure. We have been really pleased with it.
  • CGW1
    I'm more into semi autos, I like to experiment with grind size and dosage along with tamp pressure. I have an espro tamper that's calibrated for 30# of pressure. Pretty nice.
  • Eggcelsior
    CGW1 said:
    I'm more into semi autos, I like to experiment with grind size and dosage along with tamp pressure. I have an espro tamper that's calibrated for 30# of pressure. Pretty nice.
    I am too. I tried to push SWMBO towards this, but she's SWMBO for a reason. At least the Nespresso is convenient. She is happy and I get to live to see another day. Win in my book.
  • CGW1
    Lol. I understand. Be happy you have what you have.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    I have the Breville but didn't spring for the double boiler. Love making my own espressos. Have a double shot with single shot of water "americano" first thing upon vertical positioning. Not a ton of skill at art. But whole milk stretched not foamed tends to give me the best result.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • CGW1
    Yeah that's the proper consistency your aiming for. Which Breville do you have? I went from the barista express to the dual boiler.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    CGW1 said:
    Yeah that's the proper consistency your aiming for. Which Breville do you have? I went from the barista express to the dual boiler.

I have the barista express. Decent starter toy. Somehow I suspect it is notmy last espresso machine purchase. Needed to avoid too much attention from SWMBO $-)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • CGW1
    Lol. I hear ya. You have a good machine in that barista express