Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Platesetter as Pizza Stone

I'd like to fire up a couple pies tonight.  Does anyone see a reason why I can't use the platesetter as a pizza stone?  

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    The problem is the fire below the platesetter will cause it to get very hot and many people end up with burn crust. 

I use spacers on the platesetter to get a air gap under my pizza stone. 

You can cook a pizza on it but I would keep a close eye and spin it often to help prevent a burnt crust. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Awesome, thanks for the advice!  I'll pick up a proper pizza stone this afternoon, and prop it up a little higher with a couple bricks.
  • I always put my platesetter in legs down. Next comes the grate. On the grate a put a pie pan, upside down, then the pizza stone. This gives you the most even heat you can get. No hot spots that will burn your crust.
  • Had good results! I was rushed, and didn't let the pizza stone heat up enough, so my crust wasn't as crispy as I'd like.

Made a couple different pies:
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Chubbs said:
    Looks good from here. Your egg is cleaner than the boxers I wore to work this AM.

=)) =)) but really to much info 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks good to me! My pizzas have only gotten better in the past year and a half of making them. I love pizza on the egg! 

@Chubbs thanks for the laugh!
    :))
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • My pizza stone broke and used my platesetter for quite some time.  As has already been said it can work but either use parchment paper or tinfoil to protect it from the burnt surface of the platesetter.  Great looking pizza.  
  • Chubbs said:

Looks good from here. Your egg is cleaner than the boxers I wore to work this AM.

Hahaha! Nice.
    Don't worry, it won't stay that way. The pizzas were the second cook on it; I just got it on Thursday.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Looks great. I use the setup like solson, but yours is the one BGE recommends. Your clearly on the right path.
  • Capndik... That GX grill extender you have in your picture is a true jewel for a large BGE owner. I use that exact same setup for my pizza cooks. It is best to have the pizza stone above the plate setter to control the heat better. That grill extender if you measure it is 15 1/2" across. If you measure your fire box it is 15" across. Then you will notice that your fire ring is 16" across. So... With your plate setter removed you can set your grill extender right on top of your fire box and it fits like a glove! That as you become more experienced with you Egg as a grill will be very important when grilling steaks. I personally have found that a reverse sear works better on my BGE. It is much easier and faster to heat up your BGE than it is to cool it down. The way I cook steaks is I start with the plate sette in legs up with the regular 18" grill on top of the legs. I put the steaks on when the Dome temp reaches 400 degrees. That means your cooking level heat temp is about 350/360 degrees. I put my meat temp thermometer in one of the steaks and close the lid. The fire keeps getting hotter while the meat is basically baking. When the steaks reach 115 to 120 degrees I lift the lid and open the bottom vent ALL the way open and pull the staks off. Then while the fire is getting hotter and hotter I remove my 18" grill and the plate setter, no need to remove your fire ring. Then I get that exact same GX Grill Extender you have in that picture and place it on top of my fire box. Now... I put the meat 2" from the red hot lump to finish it with a beautiful dark mahogany finish just like you get at expensive Steak House's. Don't forget to paint some Beef Love on to your meat before you drop it don't on that hot fire though. Some guy created a method of getting a 500 degree fire going to get your meat seared at the beginning of the cook. Then he would pull his meat off and wait for the fire too cool down to finish cooking his steaks. As you will discover waiting for your BGE to cool down will give time to mow your lawn and wash your car. My method will give you a perfect steak that will be medium rare, pink everywhere except on the beautiful crust you create with the hot fire and the Beef Love. That little funky double hinged grill extender you have is really a great tool for BGE owner's. No need for fire bricks to prop up your pizza stone. And the great part of the GX is that it costs less than 25 bucks!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110

Looks good.

Chubbs said:
    I don't care who you are that's funny right there.  =))

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    HogHeaven, I bought that grill extender when I got my Egg but it was bad-mouthed so much on the forum (the old one) that its still in its package.  Thanks for giving me some ideas on how to use it!   :-c

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure