Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fall-off-the-bone Baby Back Ribs - Will it work this time?

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,660

Little Steven and @gerhardk convinced me to try one more time using the 3-1-1 method.  Here we are today!

Got the egg ready to go @ 250F with a few chunks of hickory and 2 handfuls of apple wood chips.

The whole neighborhood smells good.  Got a steady flow of smoke for the 2 hours of the cook so far.

imageimage

Here's a snapshot after 2 hours on the egg.  I will leave the ribs 1 more hour and then foil for 1 hour.

imageimage

Comments

• To make the meat fall off the bone, simply cook them longer and braise in the foil longer.
  • Z_Egg is right. Add a little liquid to the foil and let them go for at least an hour if you're looking for fall-off-the-bone. After that it's up to you how long you want to put them back on with your finishing sauce.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You might want to separate them slightly for better pullback on the bones.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I usually cut them in half which allows spacing them on grill.  We do them 1 hour in foil with either apple juice or beer.  If you want them to fall off the bone you can go 2 hours in foil.  We use to do them that way but cut the foil time to about an hour now the meat comes easily off the bone but has a bit more body left.

Gerhard
  • Ribs should have a little "chew" in them. Too much cooking can make them mushy. IMO.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • Little Steven
    cajuncook said:
    Ribs should have a little "chew" in them. Too much cooking can make them mushy. IMO.
    I agree but my family loves them when I foil. I do that once in a long while. Pagman is looking for "fall off the bone"

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Try honey batsting in the foil
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    gerhardk said:
    I usually cut them in half which allows spacing them on grill.  We do them 1 hour in foil with either apple juice or beer.  If you want them to fall off the bone you can go 2 hours in foil.  We use to do them that way but cut the foil time to about an hour now the meat comes easily off the bone but has a bit more body left.

Gerhard

Gerhard,

Try some Motts extra spicy Caesar for the liquid sometime!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Heard that.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • paqman
    henapple said:

I'll try that for sure next time!

gerhardk said:

Gerhard

Gerhard,

Try some Motts extra spicy Caesar for the liquid sometime!

Clamato is literally an addiction for me... I'll have to try that!

I love Clamato.  Probably because it's mostly MSG.  And very clammy.

Ready to foil!

Goig back on the egg:

2 Large BGE, 1 Small.  
  • paqman

End result was good.  Not as "fall-off-the-bone" as I wanted but much better than my previous attempts.  Next time, I will add a liquid in the foil.

edited January 2013
    I love Clamato.  Probably because it's mostly MSG.  And very clammy.
    I did not know Clamato was available outside Canada, good to know, i could not find any during my previous visits!  Clamato and vinegar, hmmm...

Ohh noo!! Clamato is mostly MSG?! Thanks for the tid bit, but now I can't use my favorite BM mixer again :(
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    +1 on the honey and other goodies when you foil. That is if your going for a sticky rib. I do them both ways depending on my crowd. Just make sure that you don't push them through by raising the temp too high as the sugars can burn in the foil.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    I add apple juice to the foil. Foiling has been the way to go for me for "fall off the bone" ribs.
  • Our family loves them falling off the bone too.  I rub them and then cook on a rib rack, indirect at 250F for 3 hours.
    Then I put them in a big disposable aluminum pan, add some sauce, cover with foil, and cook them indirect for another 2 hours. 
    Sometimes I add more sauce and lay them directly on the grate (indirect still) for about 15 minutes, but the bones are falling out by then.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2013
    As others have said...just increase the foil time a little and liquid helps if you want them more fall-off-boney.  I have found that 275 dome for 3 hours, 90 minutes in foil, then back on for 15-20 minutes works for me.  I add a little liquid during the foil stage.  

Like Kristi suggested- I also use a foil pan.  I fount this works just as well as wrapping individually and it is a little easier.  The foil pan also ensures the liquid will be retained.  I've found when wrapping individually, it is easy to have a bone poke through the foil and sometimes you loose the liquid.  

In this pic I drizzle with a little honey and brown sugar, and add apple juice.  Honey and brown sugar is optional, but I think the juice helps with getting them tender. 

Cover tightly with foil:

Back on the egg for 90 minutes in foil, then remove and put back on the egg and apply sauce. Leave for 15-20 minutes. 

Don't forget the bend test:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I do the bend test getting out of bed every morning..usually an epic fail.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • gfavor
    gfavor Posts: 74
    When you all say to add liquid, do you just place the ribs on the foil, add a little liquid (beer, water, or what ever) and wrap up? It's just that simple?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    gfavor said:
    When you all say to add liquid, do you just place the ribs on the foil, add a little liquid (beer, water, or what ever) and wrap up? It's just that simple?
    Meat side down, in the liquid. Don't know that anyone uses just water. Usually apple juice, or a sweetened liquid. Sort of a pre-saucing at the same time the meat is braising in the foil. Pour any of the liquid back onto the meat after un-foiling.
  • Chapsz28
    Chapsz28 Posts: 9
    edited March 2013

I used the the foil method a lot this past summer...  Usually using Triggs method.. or apple juice and brown sugar...    However..  I've had way better success smoking them without foil for about 4 hours or so..sauce them up for the last hour.   Way better flavor in my opinion... never had an issue with them not getting as tender as we wanted... Fall off the bone or just slightly before.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I used to foil, but got tired of the work involved with wrapping the racks, etc. I used brown sugar, parkay, and honey back in the foiling days. 

The liquid left in the foil used to be killer - After the ribs were done, I could just tip the foil boat down my gullet it was that good. And that's why my doctor hates me. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    henapple said:

I that is how I do mine when I foil them.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Making this too complicated.

Put on egg, cook till fall of the bone.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Chapsz28 said:

I used the the foil method a lot this past summer...  Usually using Triggs method.. or apple juice and brown sugar...    However..  I've had way better success smoking them without foil for about 4 hours or so..sauce them up for the last hour.   Way better flavor in my opinion... never had an issue with them not getting as tender as we wanted... Fall off the bone or just slightly before.

what temp were u running????