Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Angus Brisket

Options

Did a Walmart bought brisket 2 weeks ago, flat came out little dry 20 minutes after slicing.  Took it off at 190, but decided not to inject any marinade this time, probably the wrong decision.  Started looking around for a better quality meat on websites such as Central Meats and Pat LaFrieda but wanted to ask first if anyone had suggestions that would help in my search?  Are the briskets on these sites worth the money?  Are there other sites you prefer?  What do competition teams use?

Thanks,

Howard 

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The WalMart briskets here are full packers and are the excel brand which are fine. I see excel brand at Costco also. I got a certified angus choice brisket from a local farmers market for $2.99 a pound this weekend you may try shopping around locally.
  • ben4unc
    ben4unc Posts: 14
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Sam's Club in Kannapolis NC sells whole Brisket - Certified Angus Beef - Choice for $2.58 per pound.  They are amazing and a killer price!   I have a 14lb'er in my freezer that I plan on smokin this weekend for the big UNC vs Dook game.
  • yankeefan
    Options

Wow, you guys are lucky!  Here in the Philly area both Sams and Costco only sell flats.  WM is the only retailer selling full packers.  Shame, both took the full briskets away and they stopped selling tri-tips for over a year now.  Only good change is Costco soley sells St Louis style ribs, I always disliked the non-St Louis style spare rib

Thanks for the help

Howard