Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding chips in mid cook

Options
Wolfpack
Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
Anyone have a good method besides taking plate setter out? Someone handier than myself should design a slide/chute that would fit down between the open sides. I did notice while looking at charcoal that Saffire has a chip slot in their grill- nice idea..
Greensboro, NC

Comments

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    I have just dropped chips down between the platesetter and side before.  You might have to pick the grid up a little.
  • BrewnChew
    Options
    Sorry no good way other than pulling it out. My gasser is next to my egg so that was my landing zone when I used a plate setter and grid. Now I have an AR with oval stone and I can just drop chunks down the side without pulling anything.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    +1 on dropping chips between the PS and the firebox through the cooking grate.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    Haven't had to do this yet but one of the BGE chefs told me that you can create a pouch of chips in foil and slip between the setter that way they burn slower and you can add more at one time. Just make sure not to seal the foil packet completely. Like I said I haven't tried it but it may be worth a shot.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA