Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help - egg went cold 2 hrs in a 14 he burn!

Limited time frame to cook a butt and briscuit and I'm away from the home. Daughter just called that the temp is at 5 degrees. If I need to leave town by 10a Sunday and won't be back home until 10p tonight, should I just put the neat in the frig and cook another day or can I fire it up and cook both before 9a Sunday ? Help!
Charlotte, nc

Comments

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    If you're pressed for time, I would cook the butt and not the brisket.  The butt would be easy to get good results even if you have to turbo it.  The brisket will require more time and patience in order for it to turn out edible.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    If it's a must that you be away from your egg for an extended period of time I would highly recommend a digital controller unit. There are many different brands and models to fit your wants and/or needs with equally varying price ranges. I personally love my Aubert Instruments unit for the no-frills simplicity and affordability. Sure you may be able to maintain a close constant temp wirlthout one,it's really not hard to do,but for overnighters or a Sunday full of errands they really set your mind at ease and give your confidence a big boost.
  • With that type of a cook, you would be better off with the "frig" idea.  Those two different types of meats need some supervision.  I have had my egg for over three years, and am the type to read the instructions after "all else" fails!!!  I am just now being able to start a cook, from a "stabilized condition", turn and walk away from my egg knowing what is going to happen.  I can start a cook, get in my truck and drive away to the store!!  And we all know there are many ways to control temperature.  When you finally figure out "your way", the art of cooking on the egg will become a whole lot easier.. 
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    get a high Que grate and this won't happen again.