Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate temp via Maverick versus dome temp

Options
Ditched the all-nighter, going turbo on the butts. Dome says 450. Maverick says 335. I've moved probe three times. Wire sits over leg of placesetter. Pointed toward middle of grill, this time it's back third of grill. Which should I trust? Only second time with the Mav. Last time, it stayed within 10 degrees.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    Are you comfortable that both thermos are calibrated as that is a huge temperature difference for an indirect cook.  If you are comfortable with both then I would go with the grid temp as that is closest to where the butts will be.  That said, you can get temperature gradients inside the BGE just like your oven.  If you have a remote meat thermo then put the butts on and just monitor the meat temp.  As you get closer to the finish-line check both as they will likely finish at significantly different times.  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Temps have merged as the cook wore on... 400/340. But this time, the probe in the meat was spot on. First butt is in the cooler. Pulled at 195. 40 minutes til the second. Tried fat side up today. Foggy, spittily day here in Texas. Cooking barefoot. Can't imagine trying to Egg it in Boston today.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    When my egg "farts" at about 330 degree(dome) during start up and the fumes ignite sending flames slightly out of the top vent -- my dome thermometer will "jump" up to 400+ because these flames are hitting the dome's sensing probe -- al the while below at grid leval, my Digi grid probe is registering 325 to 350 degrees -- flames are flying right past the grid area....