Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stubbs lump

Costco has 34 lb bags of Stubbs lump charcoal for $17. NakedWhiz doesn't review it. Any experience with it? Thoughts?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've only seen Stubb's briquets
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Good price if any good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I wish they carried it at my Costco...
  • A am going to send my store manager a request for it???
  • I just bought 2 bags this past weekend. Went back for one more but they had sold out! I will use it on my next cook and post comments next week.
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • Lowes in Atlanta carries it but I've never tried it.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    heck of a price, I'll definitely be on the look out for that the next time I go

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Saw some in Wally today fifteen lb bag for 7 bucks. Was the last bag on the shelf. I may go back and pick up one if they still have more. Never thought of using briquettes but as long as its lump it should be safe right??
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Dnl
    Dnl Posts: 12
    For the Seattle area eggers, I checked at the business Costco in Lynwood and the Costco in Everett and neither have Stubbs or any other kind of lump.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    $16.99 for 34 lbs. overnighting some butts... we'll see

• RLeeper said:
    Saw some in Wally today fifteen lb bag for 7 bucks. Was the last bag on the shelf. I may go back and pick up one if they still have more. Never thought of using briquettes but as long as its lump it should be safe right??

Stubbs sell all natural briquettes. This stuff is lump.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper said:

Thanks, I think I'll give it a shot. Have you used it before?
  • RLeeper said:
    RLeeper said:

Thanks, I think I'll give it a shot. Have you used it before?

I've never tried nor seen the lump.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Great.  I come on here looking for the experts' opinions and find out no one knows more than I do.  I picked up a bag this week and am planning on using it on a pizza burn tonight.  Will report back.  If it's pretty good, I'll load up as I see it.  (wife will kill me though, because I'm already sitting on nearly 300#'s of Wicked Good!)
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    So far, Stubbs transitioned to clear smoke quickly. Decent sized chunks. Will let you know once the cook is done. Turboing butts today.

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    And, doing some reading across the net, it looks like the briquettes are made and distributed by Cowboy and they just license the name.  Someone actually contacted Cowboy and they emailed that info back.  No word on whether it's the same for the lump, but it would seem like a reasonable conclusion to draw.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • RLeeper
    edited February 2013
    So I went to Wally World and picked up a bag. Did pizza tonight so I figure I would give the Stubbs a shot. Lighting wasn't bad but took more time than other lump I have used. Wanted to cook the pizza at 500. Took a long time getting to temp. When it got above 400 there was no controlling it. Flames galore and nothing was calming it down. Shut the vents and got below four hundred but I was doing pizza and wanted high temps....unable to get above 400 without uncontrollable flames. The taste was a very strong smokey flavor. After the cook I just let the egg burn it away. I won't be using this again no matter the price.
  • I bought a 34 pound bag of Stubb's at Costco (Houston area) and liked it enough to go back and stock up. It had been a couple of weeks since I bought it and I was afraid Costco wouldn't have it anymore since it's September and past what many define as the grilling season. As suspected, they had sold out. At $16.99 per bag it was a great price.

I cooked pizza the other night and found it to be the best yet...no smoke flavor at all. My first cook using the Stubb's lump charcoal was a brisket which cooked low and slow for 28 hours with no major temperature fluctuations. 
  • My wife picked up the same 34-lb bag at Costco several months ago and I hated it.  Too much waste/dust/tiny pieces.  Could have been a bad bag, but I won't try it again. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    If Stubb's lump is as good as their bottled BBQ sauce, it can't be bad!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • I tried a bag and took it back.  It's re-branded Cowboy lump.
  • I tried a bag from Costco and didn't like it. Kept smoking long after WG and OO would have gone to clear smoke. I'm done experimenting and will just stick with OO since it's never let me down.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I wasn't impressed either. I bought 8 bags earlier this year then returned 7. Alot of uncarbonized wood pieces. I kept the remainder of the opened bag to use in my tandoor, but don't like it for the egg.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    I was in The Grill Shop in Ft Worth and saw it. I asked the guy in the store and he said he bought a pallet of it and wasn't impressed. I bought the OO instead. Now I'm glad I did
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone