Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

;( out of lump

Comments

• jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    dlk7 said:

I just ordered 4 forty pound bags of Humphreys - $152 for 160 pounds delivered.

Humphreys is the best I've ever used. My local True Value sells it for $12.00/bag.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I don't like it but I have been issuing cowboy all the time here it is the only locally available year round other than frontier which sad to say burnt faster and not as hot as the cowboy. You want a real sad story Walmart doesn't even carry royal oak here, just kingsford and such.
  • Contact Walmart corporate -- i did...
  • I'm have to stray stoking up more! I don't put up much for winter compared to some of y'all!

XLBGE 
  • mo egg said:

How does Ozark Oak compare to WG as far as smoke taste goes?  The wife prefers no smokey flavor except what we add to the cook. Can't get Ozark Oak in Virginia Beach, but I hear its good stuff.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

I've used GFS brand .About $13 for a 20# bag. I thought I read it's RO. Could be wrong.

Like to order WG from Ace.,my favorite so far. Cowboy sparks like the 4th of July.

Got my neighbor to start using WGWW. He uses one of those metal cans  made by a W co. Even in that he was impressed he could get that thing to 550* for a pizza in sub freezing here in MI.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• @sola
    Just called and our Walmart has set their sprig stuff out. Supposed to have charcoal. But talking to them is like talkin to the wall. Will go after work and hope to find it!

XLBGE 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    jerryp said:
    I just ordered 4 forty pound bags of Humphreys - $152 for 160 pounds delivered.
    Humphreys is the best I've ever used. My local True Value sells it for $12.00/bag.

is that $12 per 20 pound bag?  I'm buying the 40 pound bags at $24.95 and the rest is shipping cost.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Walmart had charcoal out. Just no lump

XLBGE 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    What are you guys paying for the BGE stuff. $25 here for 20#. That includes the shipping to the store. I am sure its higher than the RO because it says BGE. How much?
  • I just posted this on the Kroger lump thread.  Just to show how much more the BGE lump, that is also made by RO, is compared to other brands also made by RO. 
    I have used that kind. It wasn't too bad, it is just pricey. That is not the Kroger brand. Not to sound smart @ss...but the Kroger brand has Kroger on it :P. The fire and flavor was fine, just no better than kroger and around me it is the same price for 3.8 less lbs. I have only purchased the F&F when they are out of Kroger. This time of year, my Kroger only stocks a couple of bags at a time.

+1 I've used this stuff and it wasn't bad, just a bit pricey. I think I remember its made by RO. I can buy a 22# bag of GFS (made by RO) all day long for $12 or 13. I think I bought the Kroger lump for $6 and its 8.8#.
    Flint, Michigan
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    How does Ozark Oak compare to WG as far as smoke taste goes?  The wife prefers no smokey flavor except what we add to the cook. Can't get Ozark Oak in Virginia Beach, but I hear its good stuff.

+1 on Firecraft.com. I've ordered Humphrey's and Ozark Oak from them. Free shipping on orders over $99. Works out to be $1 per #. I like them both but if I had one negative it would be the smaller bags of Ozark. Smaller bags = smaller pieces. @NorthState BBQ Co if SWMBO doesn't like smoke I'd stick with WG, it's seems to be the most smoke neutral lump that I've had.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Nurse, the first bag of wicked good I used I was hooked! Haven't used anything else since! Try it.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

I like my WGWW. I did try RO (a bag) betwen fills and DID NOT like RO.

Lights easy, like all trash does. :) thats about all it does.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The kroger branded lump was decent. I bought several bags 50% off last summer. Don't think I would pay regular price for it though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Have you tried Manlump?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • So BGE is only $20 a bag at my dealer in north Georgia. When I looked at getting some Wicked Good online through ACE and having it sent to my local store it is $22 or so a bag.  I will try some soon.  How much is the BGE lump other places?
    XL BGE
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Think $20-$25 is the norm
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I just posted this on the Kroger lump thread.  Just to show how much more the BGE lump, that is also made by RO, is compared to other brands also made by RO. 
    I have used that kind. It wasn't too bad, it is just pricey. That is not the Kroger brand. Not to sound smart @ss...but the Kroger brand has Kroger on it :P. The fire and flavor was fine, just no better than kroger and around me it is the same price for 3.8 less lbs. I have only purchased the F&F when they are out of Kroger. This time of year, my Kroger only stocks a couple of bags at a time.

+1 I've used this stuff and it wasn't bad, just a bit pricey. I think I remember its made by RO. I can buy a 22# bag of GFS (made by RO) all day long for $12 or 13. I think I bought the Kroger lump for $6 and its 8.8#.

I regularly use Kroger lump. Same price as stated here. They sometimes run sales on it. When they are out, they should be able to order it. I ordered some when they had a sale on it, and they honored the sale price. Doesn't hurt to ask at customer service. I prefer it over Royal Oak. Seems to have larger chunks. As stated earlier, Kroger is Royal Oak.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

Other than Royal Oak, I've used B&B (found at Academy and now at WalMart) and Best of The West (Sam's).. B&B seemed to be better than the Best of the West, which was really sparky.

How many bags of best if the west did you use? I have used 4 bags and only 1 was sparky. Contrarily, 2 out 3 of my wicked good have been sparky. I just take out the sparky piece, which I have found usually is really shiny before being lit.

I like wicked good because it burns long, but it also takes longer to get up to temperature. Truthfully, I think wicked good is a good lump, but overhyped a bit.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    I heard Cowboy was pretty good now on another site. Seems they changed. I use Humphery's and love that stuff.
  • Bought a bag of "Best of the West" at Sam's Club  --- 20 pound bag for elevan and change !!  The worst crap i ever came across.  Tossed half of it in the garbage.  There was one piece that was a six inch tree limb about 12 inches long and wouldn't burn!!  They sold one pallet, the second pallet has been untouched for three months, so i'm guessing the other lump users want no part of this product!!!

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    A dealer near my house wanted $35 for BGE lump! For some reason I have never bought anything from them...
    Lynnwood WA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've heard that BGE, RO and others are the same. I've used both and hated RO. I really like the BGE. No aftertaste, starts easy and last a long time. They may be made by the same company but I don't believe the same quality. OO is my favorite but I'll pay for BGE if needed. I'm heading through AK this week and will load up OO.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    double said:

A dealer near my house wanted $35 for BGE lump! For some reason I have never bought anything from them...

That's how much it is at my dealer in Houston, which Is why I don't buy it. Goes on sale for $20 occasionally.

• I've never had a problem with Royal Oak. Unless I can get a really great deal on something else, I'm doing RO. On pallet deals, I never buy bags from the edge. Every time I've done that, the quality is not nearly a good as those bags I get from the center. Just an observation that works for me. Y'all have great cooks this weekend!
  • double said:

This is what my dealer is like. That's why I have a dealer in Tuscaloosa not local. Local place is a jerk.

I've never had a RO problem worth fussing about. Lights great, up to temp, and last long as I need. When Wally World gets there stuff straight in load up.

Do get 10% off first ace purchase. So I'm plan that or WGWW and get 100$ worth just to try it.

Thanks for all the help guys!! I've got 10 lbs of that fire and flavor so I've got my high for next week covered

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    double said:

That's how much it is at my dealer in Houston, which Is why I don't buy it. Goes on sale for $20 occasionally.

• I'm a big Humphrey fan. Get a pallet hipped to a hub and it is the same price as RO. It comes in 20# bags. Lee Humphrey is great to work with. The pieces are nice and big, but not as big as some of the huge WGWW pics I've seen.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You think BGE would make it more affordable...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN