Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Storage

bccomstock
bccomstock Posts: 338
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone use a particular method for lump storage?  I was thinking about getting a couple of covered bins (totes) to separate out the large, medium and small pieces of lump.. Anyone else do this and maybe have pics of the setup?  Or any other ideas?
LBGE
MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2013
    I use one of the plastic containers made for lump or dog food. I just dump in lump, let the fire sort it out.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    I like to take a new bag of lump and spend a few hours and vac seal each piece.

JK.  I have posted else where but I use a 2 bin rubbermaid system.  I pour the new lump bag into the "small lump" bin and then remove the the med and large pieces.  The m and l pieces each get there own side of bin #2 "medium and large lump bin".

Works great for me.  I like loading by hand much better than dumping.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @rrt121....funny.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    As I noted in another post I've noticed that it's taking longer to get my egg to temp since I've began using Cowboy lump. At first I thought it was the brand switch, but I'm wondering now if it's the humidity of storing it in the original bags in my garage here in South Louisiana.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • The "kid's" got me a galvanized can that holds about 1 bag of RO lump. The lid kinda snaps shut but I still store it in the garage to keep moisture out. Use the lid to separate large pieces and dump the rest as needed. Put the large pieces back in the can and save for low and slow cooks. Works for me!!  

Opelika, Alabama
  • rtt121 said:
    I like to take a new bag of lump and spend a few hours and vac seal each piece.

JK.  I have posted else where but I use a 2 bin rubbermaid system.  I pour the new lump bag into the "small lump" bin and then remove the the med and large pieces.  The m and l pieces each get there own side of bin #2 "medium and large lump bin".

Works great for me.  I like loading by hand much better than dumping.
    This is what I was thinking about doing as well.. I haven't seen any 2 bin Rubbermaids when I've been to the store, though.. Guess I'll have to keep looking.
    LBGE
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    They are separate bins.  The cheap 50 gallon ones.  I think they were 6 bucks each.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • rtt121 said:
    They are separate bins.  The cheap 50 gallon ones.  I think they were 6 bucks each.
    Ah, gotcha.. I was thinking you had a divided bin, which would be perfect I think..
    LBGE
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    What Mickey said.