Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

shelf life of cold smoked bacon,,

Options
Ok I am gearing up to do a cold smoke (i think :) ) Belly is ordered and should be in today or tomorrow.I will use my small egg for the fire, with apple chunks and I am going to use plastic dryer venting to the large where the bellies will rest. How long is the shelf life of the cold smoked bacon? I will either use a vacumn sealer or double wrap freezer paper, ( a friend of mine butchers alot and suggested wrapping). And then into the freezer. We love the flavour of the hot smoked bacon we have done in the past. I am just hearing everyone rant about cold smoked bacon, and its texture. I will have about 9 pounds to smoke. I am a bit concerned with pathogen with the cold smoke method. I remember one member (CT or Nola ??) saying that they cold smoked and then finished it off with a hot smoke to prolong shelf life. Any help with this would be appreciated.. might have to have you over for breakfast.:)
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    Options
    I cured a big pork belly and did a hot smoke on the egg and a cold smoke in a barrel smoker this fall. The cold smoke had a different flavor and texture, good too. I didn't notice any difference in shelf life, although they both only were in the fridge for a few days before I vac sealed them and froze them. It has been a few months so far and when I defrost chunks to cut and cook, they both seem ok.

The idea of hot smoking after the cold smoke isn't a bad idea. I might do that next time. The idea of pathogens on the cold smoked one definitely was in the back of my mind while I was cooking it. 
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • makis
    makis Posts: 81
    Options
    I think that pathogens are killed by the pink salt we add in the dry rub. After that hot or cold smoked has to do with taste and texture rather than pathogens. Going to start curing mine tomorrow and planning on hot smoking it next Saturday.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Also, you aren't eating this bacon without cooking it, right? You'll kill any pathogens in the cook.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    I just got the call. On my way to pick up the belly and then cure it tomorrow and then patiently wait for a week. 
    Large, small, and a mini