Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digiorno Pizza on BGE

I realize Digiorno Pizza isn't the best, but it works on a work night when you don't have much time to cook.  Have any of you ever cooked it on the BGE?  If so, what temp and how long?  Thought I might see if the BGE makes it any better.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    I have not done DiGiorno but have done Papa Murphy's and some frozen pies in a pinch and they turn out 20x's better than the oven, imho. I do just like a fresh made pie at 550 on the pizza stone check at the 8 to 10 min mark give it a spin and finish. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Do you use a plate setter or just put the pizza stone right on the grill?
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Using the plate setter and some way to make space (I use the little green feet) then the stone will make for a much better pizza and not burn the crust, the pizza stone will get too hot if the fire is hitting it directly. You can do platesetter legs up the grid then your pizza stone and that should work fine. 

I would make it around 500°- 550° and spin it at 6-8 mins like @DMurf said and then another 6 mins or so depending on how thick it is and it will be great. 

If you have a kitchenaid you can always make the dough ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until a hour or so before you cook. Just so you know or if you want to have a pizza party on the weekend, because the delivery guy forgot our address once we started making pizza on the egg. (One of my favorite things on the egg)
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2013
    Just my $.02, but I would cook just about anything else besides Digiorno.  They have "take and bake" in the refrigerated section at most grocery stores, and even Wal-mart has them that are pretty good.  Again, just my opinion but I have never had DG that I didn't hate.  I don't know what the heck they put in the crust to make it rise from frozen, but it tastes like you are eating a sponge. I'm not impressed with the quality of the toppings either.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    They are all better if cooked on the Egg.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Do you put the frozen pizza directly on the stone or put foil or something underneath?  Sorry, this is my first pizza on the BGE.  I hope to do a home made pizza soon.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I use parchment paper for the first couple of min's
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2013
    I did a Costco take and bake cut in slices. I did a few on the mini and few in the oven. My take was the egg is better suited for fresh homemade pizzas, not the take and bake. Not sure how it does on frozen.
    Seattle, WA
  • Sounds silly but any boxed pizza is better on the egg!! I like the take and bake Wally World has, do a bunch of Digonero as well. It's a fairly fast cook. 500-550. Maybe 10 min. I don't really know. I just hang out on the porch and look down the too hole at it every now and then.

I tell my wife I can't leave it so I just kick back in my outdoor egg sanctuary, even if its only 15 min ;)

XLBGE 
  • Forgot to mention. I second this setup.

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/solson005/28a8ab70.jpg

XLBGE 
  • We've recently tried a Little Ceasars kit that you buy to support your local school groups and they didn't turn out very well.  Everything is frozen separately and you let them defrost and build the pizza.  We even kicked up the sauce and added a little extra cheese to no avail.  Homemade has us very spoiled.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• I do Papa Murphy's on my Egg and it's good! I can recommend especially their thin crust. It's the bet I've found when rushed for time. Y'all have great cooks!
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited February 2013
    I agree that frozen pizza turns oit great on the Egg! Much more flavor than the oven!

I do it the way Solson005 has pictured. we usually get Paul Newman's frozen pies. No pappa Murphy's near us.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Not sure on Digiorno's or other frozen pizzas, but I would try following the directions on the box the first time and se how that works out.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:

Not sure on Digiorno's or other frozen pizzas, but I would try following the directions on the box the first time and se how that works out.

Not trying to be argumentative @griffin but I've found on the frozen pizzas you need to go faster or they'll get too smokey. Digonero can get really smokey.

XLBGE 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Well there ya go. I have no idea, never done one, but that would have been my first guess. I defer to your knowledge, kind Sir.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Well I tried the pizza last night on the BGE and it was OK.  It had a smokey taste that I didn't like.  I had the vent and top open full blast but for some reason it was struggling it over 450.  So it took like 15-17 minutes to cook instead of 10.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Well I tried the pizza last night on the BGE and it was OK.  It had a smokey taste that I didn't like.  I had the vent and top open full blast but for some reason it was struggling it over 450.  So it took like 15-17 minutes to cook instead of 10.
    If you can't, with everything running full throttle, reach nuclear temps, there's a problem with the dynamics of your fire.  You need to take a look at it, maybe knock out some ash or reposition some burning lump.  Usually this problem has a symptom of bad smoke.
    cook the store bought pizzas just like the label recommends.  For most of the store bought, hard dough, pizzas you can cook them right on a grid with parchment paper,  tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.