Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone tried B&B lump?

My local Wally World started carrying pallets of it along with Royal Oak. But the RO section is getting smaller so it looks like they may phase out the RO and keep the B&B.

I saw Naked Whiz write up, but I wondered if anyone had any recent experience with it.
LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've gone through a few bags before.  Don't recall anything negative about it.
    My first 10 cooks were fueled by B&B. no issues. I'm just working my way through what is available. I would listen to what NOLA or CenTex offer on this.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Yup, good stuff. There are a few bags out there, though. The brown with red is oak, the yellow bag is mesquite (haven't tried that one yet) which turns some people off. Silly non-Texans, don't know what good smoke is. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I believe Dyal_SC has recently used B&B. I have an unopened bag to try this week.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Cool thanks... Time to rack up....
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • I've used several green bags of B&B.. Pretty good stuff.  I just bought the last 2 bags of Royal Oak my local WalMart had yesterday.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited February 2013
    We bought a bag that was hardwood from South America. The smoke has a sweet acrid smell that takes a long time to burn off, lump burns moderately fast, produces lots of ash, and sparks quite a bit. The price was good, but I won't buy another bag. Just read the label and point of origin. I never read past hardwood and that was my mistake.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    To date, B&B is the only lump I have used; I've had my egg for about seven months. It is very affordable and I have had no problems at all with it, so I just keep using it. Well, a couple of times I have gotten a lot of flying sparkles, but I hear that others get those sometimes too, even with the expensive brands.

Tim
  • I've used the Oak and the Hickory from B&B with good results.  It's available here in Knoxville at Academy Sports at about $13 per 20# bag.  I've combined the B&B with the Mini Logs in Apple and Mesquite that are also available at Academy.  Good flavored smoke and big old log chunks.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    We bought a bag that was hardwood from South America. The smoke has a sweet acrid smell that takes a long time to burn off, lump burns moderately fast, produces lots of ash, and sparks quite a bit. The price was good, but I won't buy another bag. Just read the label and point of origin. I never read past hardwood and that was my mistake.
    I guess they have multiple sources for their wood - I didn't have those problems, or, not that I noticed. 

The South American's decided to let North Americans burn down their rain forests for them!