Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gonna try wicked good

Options
Well fired up the xl yesterday to grill some hotdogs and used up all the ro I had, so this morning I ordered three bags of weekend warrior from ace hardware to try out. Hope all the hype i've been reading about it is true.
Herrin,IL.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Hope they have it in stock. Going to be a long time before cooking.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hrchdog
    Options
    They showed it in stock when I placed the order, what do you mean going to be a long time before cooking?
    Herrin,IL.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I tried it, one bag but didn't care for it...I was accused of eating out instead of cooking with it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Here is the email I got after about 4 days.  My transaction seemed as if it went through but.....

We regret to inform you that we are unable to complete your order.
    We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

Your satisfaction is very important to us. If you have any questions about your order, call Customer Service at 1-866-290-5334. We will be more than happy to assist you.

We appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused if this action was taken in error.

Best regards,

Ace Hardware Customer Service
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I like it but harder to light that's for sure... kind of annoying actually.
    Seattle, WA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Where are you located?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    Options

When I bought my egg, I used the free bag of Ozark Oak until it was done. I then purchased a bag of Wicked Good.  It is good, it tends to last longer and retain heat well.  It also did come with some huge chunks, but also a bunch of "nuggets".  The Wicked Good did need an extra firestarter square to help it get to higher temps (450+) while the Ozark Oak had no problem. After a cookout with the wicked good, i had to remove and rearrange some lump because I was left with a few "nugget" size pieces that were small, but bigger than the airholes in the firegrate.  This might cause an airflow issue so I would remove those nuggets and put fresh lump first, then the used nuggets.  I bought some more bags of Ozark Oak for comparison, but the way it is turning out, I may use Ozark Oak on most cooks, and just use Wicked Good on low and slows.

• Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Options
    rtt121 said:

Here is the email I got after about 4 days.  My transaction seemed as if it went through but.....

We regret to inform you that we are unable to complete your order.

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

Your satisfaction is very important to us. If you have any questions about your order, call Customer Service at 1-866-290-5334. We will be more than happy to assist you.

We appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused if this action was taken in error.

Best regards,

Ace Hardware Customer Service

Did they ever give you a reason?
    I ordered 2 bags Monday night to try for the first time. I did the ship to store option. So far I haven't been told there is a problem with the order. But I also haven't been told it has shipped.
  • rtt121
    Options
    No reason.  I called looking for a discount moreso that a reason.

I didn't get either.
  • jleon401
    jleon401 Posts: 33
    edited February 2013
    Options
    @rtt121- I found a coupon on the web this past December and ordered five bags. I got the same email that they apologize for not being able to complete the order. About three days later I got a call from my local store advising that the order was in! When I went to pick it up from the store they told me that I had to call the home office because they have not billed me and that they could not bill me either because the order was placed online. I called the home store and told the representative that my order had not been billed and he told me that he would take care of it, that was six weeks and still not taken out of my checking.

As far as trying the Wicked Good out, I have not so I couldn't give an opinion.
    LBGE, Smoke Hollow 4-in-1, Charbroil Big Easy, and Weber Smokey Joe.
  • rtt121
    Options
    Hmmm. Maybe I should call my local ace and ask if they have lump they dont know why they have.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Go into your local Ace Hardware and have them special order the SKU #8322786, if they don't already stock it, it should come in with their weekly order. Retail should be in the low $20 range, maybe less. 
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Hogman348
    Options
    My local ace finally got tired of me doing "ship to store" and missing out on the sales so they have started carrying wicked good in stock. It definitely has big pieces and not much shake or dust. i usually have a bag of bge lump and wicked good at all times and will use for whichever type of cook i am doing. mix a little to get best of both

good luck 
    Woodstock, GA
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I use Humphrey. It has big and small chunks, it's easy to light and I get it cheaper than Royal Oak when bought in a group buy.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Wicked Good is a little hard to light until you get the hang of it. If you're in a rush and, it seems everyone is these days, use a MAPP torch but, watchout for the sparks it will create.

When life was a little easier we would make a little hole in the lump, take a napkin twist it into a knot drizzle a little oil - olive usually - light it then drop it in the little hole you created and 'tent' a few pieces of lump over the flaming napkin.

Return to the house and begin your prep for your meal. Usually, by the time that's done you'll find a nice little glow and your fire will be on the way.

I've been using Wicked Good for a l-o-n-g time and don't even think about the difficulty lighting it anymore. The darned stuff lasts forever, burns hot, hot, hot and doesn't carry a huge smoke flavor allowing you to use the kind of smoking wood you want.

Take your time, you'll get used to it then you'll be one of the fans.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    edited February 2013
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I had the same experience with it. I also like more of a smoky taste than the WGWW....it lasts forever though.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    Options
    I like to use it just for pizza cooks as it doesn't give a smokey flavor.

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq