Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All this Bacon talk....

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    NDG said:
    @kempy . .great tips, thank you.  I am thinking about putting the lightbulb in early to raise the temperature then pulling it before the belly/ams go on.  It is 25 F here now.  Two other quick questions:

- do you have to clean out the fire box or can I place the AMS directly on used coals?
    - do you cold smoke with the belly at default grate level, at felt level, or raised above felt level?

I cleaned my egg out but it is not necessary. My thoughts were let is sit on the high que for optimimum air flow. AMS still went out twice.

I had bellies at standard grate level. Got great color. Smoked mine for 6 hours with maple. Strong smoke smell, but not too smoky when cooked.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Thanks, forgot to ask about "post smoke chill" . . .did you let it rest in fridge for day before slice/fry?  If so, was it covered (freezer bag) or uncovered on cooling rack?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Chubbs
    NDG said:
    Thanks, forgot to ask about "post smoke chill" . . .did you let it rest in fridge for day before slice/fry?  If so, was it covered (freezer bag) or uncovered on cooling rack?
    I put mine in a freezer bag in the fridge for 2 days before I sliced it. Still had a realliy strong smoke smell and i was worried it would be too smoky, but not at all.
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    I sliced mine right away and put them in food saver bags.
  • Chubbs
    edited February 2013
    Kempy said:
    @NDG, make sure you throw the belly in the freezer for a little while before you slice it if you are slicing by hand. It makes it a lot easier to slice.
  • NDG
    Gotcha . . Thanks for helping me over the finish line, appreciate it.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Question how firm is firm ? Mines been in the fridge for 8 days now and I leave for New Orleans on Thursday so if I smoke it it has to be today or tomorrow but its not feeling very firm... Any thoughts?
    Lynnwood WA
  • Chubbs
    Remember it needs to sit uncovered in the fridge for a day before you smoke to form pellicle so the smoke will adhere. It is not going to feel like a piece of lumber by any means. Definitely firm to the touch though--- firm like a well done steak or more. Do you see any liquid in your bag?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    double said:
    Question how firm is firm ? Mines been in the fridge for 8 days now and I leave for New Orleans on Thursday so if I smoke it it has to be today or tomorrow but its not feeling very firm... Any thoughts?
    Just throw it in your luggage and I'll smoke it for ya.  Might seem a little light when you get back the finished product....that's just a natural byproduct of me smoking it ;)
    Mine has been in the fridge since last Sunday I have been flipping it every day or so, there is some liquid in the bag. Can I leave it in there until this weekend? 12 days then on a rack for a day then smoke? Thanks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Chubbs
    JRWhitee said:
    Mine has been in the fridge since last Sunday I have been flipping it every day or so, there is some liquid in the bag. Can I leave it in there until this weekend? 12 days then on a rack for a day then smoke? Thanks.
    Sure. Just make sure you rinse off the cure really well. You may want to slice a piece and cook it to test for saltiness before you smoke. If too salty then soak in water for a little while.
  • nolaegghead
    @JRWhitee you should be fine
    Yes I have liquid in the bag.
    @nolaegghead " you see Mr TSA officer I'm taking this bunch of liquid filled ziplock bags and pork to a guy in NO that's gonna finish the product for me"...
    Lynnwood WA
  • nolaegghead
    Hey fellahs, this guy's trying to pass off C4 as pork bellies!
    So should I take them out now then rinse them off and leave in the fridge? Smoke tomorrow afternoon ?
    Lynnwood WA
  • nolaegghead
    double said:
    So should I take them out now then rinse them off and leave in the fridge? Smoke tomorrow afternoon ?
    I would.  But you'd be ok leaving it in the cure for another week too. If it gets too salty, you can reduce the salt with a fresh water soak.
    Thanks guys.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I'm gonna rinse it now and smoke tomorrow I can't wait another week and probably won't be in any condition to do anything for a few days on my return ;-) thanks guys.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Kempy
    Chubbs said:

Kempy said:

@NDG, make sure you throw the belly in the freezer for a little while before you slice it if you are slicing by hand. It makes it a lot easier to slice.

Yes it does. I forgot to add that part. I used my electric fish knife. By time u was done cutting my wrist was really sore. No pain no gain though. Definitely worth it for some delicious bacon.
  • NDG
    Used torch to light one side of AMS maple pellets and had to run errands. It is around 20 F and my l dont have the correct plug to use my lightbulb with my extenstion cord . . Felt like I was in trouble.  Came back 2 hrs later and sadly only burned half inch until it died.  I just lit it up again good on side and middle and trying again.  Grrrrr . . 
    Columbus, OH

• Kempy
    NDG said:
    Used torch to light one side of AMS maple pellets and had to run errands. It is around 20 F and my l dont have the correct plug to use my lightbulb with my extenstion cord . . Felt like I was in trouble.  Came back 2 hrs later and sadly only burned half inch until it died.  I just lit it up again good on side and middle and trying again.  Grrrrr . . 
    Make sure you let the fire on the pellets go a while before blowing out.  I would suggest at least 10 minutes.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    NDG said:
    At least there is a good game on to watch while your smoking. Go Bucks!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    I'm about to make my own version of the Amaze-N-Smoker.  Just trying to finish up another project, but I have the materials.  Of course, it's gonna be bigger and burn longer and cost less.... will post a thread on this in the next few days.  Anything I can learn about how they can be improved will be incorporated into the design, so give it up!
    I'm about to make my own version of the Amaze-N-Smoker.  Just trying to finish up another project, but I have the materials.  Of course, it's gonna be bigger and burn longer and cost less.... will post a thread on this in the next few days.  Anything I can learn about how they can be improved will be incorporated into the design, so give it up!
    Maybe an additional hole in the middle for lighting a third spot.  I know I could do this by lighting from the top, but holding the torch upside makes me nervous.  Just a thought.
  • Chubbs
    Todd from AMS said they won't go out when the weather is warmer. Just an FYI.

I think the ticket is dust instead of pellet honestly. I made dust out of some of my pellets and it burned all the way through without going out. It just didn't smoke as much.
  • nolaegghead
    Thanks Kempy.  You can burn sawdust too, I suppose?  Gawd, I throw so much sawdust and wood chips away....unfortunately they're mostly cypress.
    Mine is burning good now . .
    Columbus, OH

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042

I made my one out of a grill screen with some tin snips. Got 12 hours out of one load upsing chips (very fine) just above sawdust for a big chief. I call it the big u smoker. Cost me about $5 and 30 mins
  • NDG
    Well I failed.  I am blaming the weather and my egg setup with too much old coals blocking air flow, never really got going. Sliced a piece (thick) this morn and it was not appealing.    I will write later with more details and with my suggested corrections for my nxt attempt.
    Columbus, OH

• Chubbs
    NDG, sorry to hear. Why was it unappealing? I will wait for your later post...