Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baltimore Pit Beef

2»

Comments

• pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    Glad you provided the Tiger Sauce recipe.  When I read about this cook somewhere else I thought you used the Try Me Tiger Sauce commercially available in the bottle.  Though I suspect that would have tasted good also!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @Griff - awesome, man.  I need to try this.  Hey, I have the same exact food slicer you have.
    What is that slicer make and model?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • nolaegghead

500 said:
    What is that slicer make and model?
    Chef's Choice 615.  About $150.  Works fine for the money.  Pretty easy to clean.  Says not to put anything in the dishwasher, but I do (not the motor base), and no damage whatsoever.

Griffin , what temp did you cook this at? How long?Was it tender? Seems like it would be a tough cut. Love your site and want to try this. Thanks
  • nolaegghead
    Rump roast is pretty tender, especially cooked under medium and cut thin.
    Looks great Griffin! That is one of my favorite sammies and a great party food, because it can be made ahead. I can never find top round either and have had great luck with Eye of the Round.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    @ericp cook took about an hour at 450, seared direct for first 30 turning often and indirect the last 30 and pulled at 125. let it rest for 30 minutes and it coasted up to 139. was very tender since it was sliced thin.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    @griffin Oh ok. I had thougjt you seares at 450 then lowered the temp for the rest. I can easily see the 15 degree rise with that high cook temp. Thank you again. Going to do this weekend
  • Griffin

So I know this isn't really "authentic" at all, but last night we took some onions and mushrooms and sauteed them down with some buttah and beef broth. When they were nice and soft, I chopped up the beef even finer and dumped them in the skillet with the 'shrooms and onions, topped it with provolone cheese and then threw the lid on till the cheese melted. Served it up on some hoagie rolls for some "not authentic" at all philly cheesesteaks. Pretty darn good for leftovers, but wasn't picture worthy. Plus I didn't feel like looking for the camera that Mrs. G moved the other day when cleaning.

So now we've squeezed five sandwiches out of the beef, plus one more in my lunch today and there is still tons left. I will probably be officially over it after lunch and won't be able to eat any more unless somebody else has any good ideas. Does this stuff freeze well at all?

Rowlett, Texas

500 Posts: 3,177
    Thread revival! Griffin, I'm doing an eye round roast today for Beef on Weck. Question; did you use smoke?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Griffin
    no, just wanted the taste of the beef to shinethrough.

Rowlett, Texas

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    500 said:
    Jackh said:
    In western NY we would put on Kimmekwick rolls with a little Au Jus
    Beef on Weck! With a good dose of horseradish; very tasty.  When we went to Buffalo, we stopped at Charlie the Butcher for Beef on Weck.  Excellent sandwich.  Yours looks very good Griffin.
    I fly out of Buffalo quite often. Beef on Weck makes it worth the drive

Steve 

Caledon, ON