Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Purchase of XL from an individual

I currently own a large BGE that I purchased from a local dealer and I have been contemplating purchasing a XL.  I found a 2 month old XL that has been used six times that was purchased from a different local dealer.  What should I be concerned about?  Is the warranty transferrable?  What should I question or check before making the purchase? 

XL, nest, mates, cover, plate setter, cast iron grid, half moon raised grid...$1100

Thank for your feedback.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The warranty is not transferable. I would pass on that price. I'd probably only consider it if it was under a grand.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Go get one from an EggFest with warranty used about 5 or 6 hours.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Just looked at a couple of Fests 2013 price on XLs.
    $799 w/o nest at Sunshine
    $1000 w/nest at Dizzy Pig
    All with new warranty and used less than 5 hours or so.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Is that the listing in Holmen?
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    That's a lot of accessories included in that price. Think of it this way, would you trade a lifetime warranty for all of those accessories?
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Don't know where you are located but if anywhere near NJ I know of a dealer currently selling new for 899. Picking one up tomorrow.... :-$
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    rtt121 said:
    Don't know where you are located but if anywhere near NJ I know of a dealer currently selling new for 899. Picking one up tomorrow.... :-$
    I have a buddy in NJ talking about getting an egg. Where is it.
    Thanks.
    JR

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

That's not a bad price. An XL at SoCal Eggfest is $1114 including tax. That doesn't include:

Mates $125

Cover $100

Platesetter $125

Cast Iron grid  $100

Raised grid $75

The prices I put down are ballpark so don't everyone jump on me about where they can be found cheaper. I'd offer the guy $900 and maybe you could meet in the middle. IMO it's agood deal. Check for any cracks or signs of abuse, but at two months old and six cooks you're probably pretty safe. But the guys above are correct you do not get a warranty.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • tndawg
    tndawg Posts: 12
    I live in TN, so NJ is not an option.  I checked today and the package is over $1900 tax included at my local dealer.  Thanks for the replies.
  • nashbama said:

That's a lot of accessories included in that price. Think of it this way, would you trade a lifetime warranty for all of those accessories?

This is a very valid point and the reason I'd always buy new unless its a steal.

As mickey said, you can get a great deal at an eggfest or like my dealer has a tent sale quite often with 10-15% off.

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    Big point. For me the only item I would buy in the list of what you are getting is the nest (((and would have to add a handler to that))). If it was a used Mini the price of replacing part of the guts is not much, but with the XL.....,

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    My egg cracked after 8 months.... it was brand new. You've been warned.
    Seattle, WA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    rtt121 said:
    Thanks RTT got your email with the information.

JR

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tndawg said:

I currently own a large BGE that I purchased from a local dealer and I have been contemplating purchasing a XL.  I found a 2 month old XL that has been used six times that was purchased from a different local dealer.  What should I be concerned about?  Is the warranty transferrable?  What should I question or check before making the purchase? 

XL, nest, mates, cover, plate setter, cast iron grid, half moon raised grid...$1100

Thank for your feedback.

The address your situation. I'd offer 800. If no deal I'd wait and buy new.

Keep us informed. Always curious on used egg sales. I watch Craigslist for that once in a lifetime deal

XLBGE 

• _______________________________________________

XLBGE 
  • tndawg
    That's it. I went and looked at it last night.
  • That has a nest handler. Nice accessory.

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    Have handlers on both my Larges. Would get one for the Mini but they don't make it #:-S

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    tndawg said:
    That's it. I went and looked at it last night.
    Did you buy it?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Mickey

So like tndawg said: did you buy it?

• Hello?? Did you buy it?

XLBGE 
  • Wonder if he bought it?
    Boom
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Knock knock

Who is there?

Debuyer

Who?

No, Whose......Whose Debuyer
  • tndawg
    Sorry for the lack of responses. This week was hell on wheels. I decided to buy new. My local dealer cut me a good deal that only made the used one a couple of hundred dollars cheaper. I decided that I was more comfortable buying new and having a warranty should I need it for that small of a difference. I left off the cast iron and raised grid since I don't really use those. Now I'm thinking of not purchasing the nest and mates and building a table for my large and xl. Any suggestions for the design or links to tables that you like? Thanks again for all of the input.
  • Sounds like a wise decision. Check out the table forum. Also check out nakedwhiz for plenty of table sruff

XLBGE