Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Masters Lend Me Your Beef Knowledge!!

JHazard
JHazard Posts: 18
Egg masters, brisket cooks, or those with great brisket BS, I am about to do my first brisket and all the posts I've read have people telling what they will do and only getting a few comments and pointers. I'm hoping to get some complete ideas and maybe this can be a great post full of awesome recipes.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Check out the Travis method and Dave in Florida has a good one...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2013

...far from a master, but this simple technique always works for me:
    0.) Cut a corner off the brisket that goes against the grain (note: hard to read the grain after it turns into a meteorite).
    1.) Get the egg to 250 grid (270 dome temp).
    2.) Rub it right before you put it on.
    3.) Don't open the lid until the internal hits 195.
    4.) Jab it with the probe of your choice into the brisket's side.
    5.) ...if it goes in smoothly and easily, its done.
    6.) ...if not, keep cooking until it does.
    7.) optional to foil until you want to slice it (against the grain!)

Packerland, Wisconsin

• JHazard - for people's first brisket, I always direct 'em to AmazingRibs.com ... Here is the URL for brisket: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html It can be a rather lengthy read, but you won't regret it! Brisket isn't easy and for the first time out, you won't find better advice! All the best to you for a memorable cook!
  • JHazard - Brisket can be challenging. Go to AmazingRibs.com and read up on brisket there ... http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html Follow what is written there and in no time at all you'll be a brisket king! All the best to you and yours ... make that first brisket a great family memory!