Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Ribs?

Options
I decided to make ribs for the Super Bowl and they turned out great.  Went with the 3-2-1 on four racks of BBR on the Large Egg.  Probably my best rib cook as far as texture and taste.  My only issue was that with 4 racks the two racks on the outside got charred on the bottom, as they were outside of the place setter.

I was thinking that by using a rib rack I could prevent that in the future.  Any thoughts?

Smoked at 250 Dome and 225 Grate. 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    A rib rack will definitely help keep them over the platesetter.  Another tip is to use foil or a large foil pan to give extra coverage for those that might hang over the plate setter.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    A rib rack will definitely help keep them over the platesetter.  Another tip is to use foil or a large foil pan to give extra coverage for those that might hang over the plate setter.  
    What he said. I have a medium so I wrap the edges of the grid where the ribs will over hang the PS in foil. Otherwise I line my drip pan with AF and position it to do the same thing under the grid. It can be a little time consuming to do while the egg continues to increase in temp while the dome is up. I need to get some gloves for this stuff.
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options

+1 on the foil.

I have the same problem while cooking my BB's. I actually plug two sides of the platesetter with foil, but next time I think I'll try Eggcelsior's idea of wrapping the grid.

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975