Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you consider essential egg gear

I've got a Large and I got the cast iron grate in addition to the standard grate.  I have a digital probe and just ordered the maverick as I want to do overnighters with a bit of sleep.

I see a lot of great set ups and equipment, so I'm wondering what does everyone consider essential.

Pics coming from my next smoke, I keep forgetting!
Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE

Comments

• Anything that raises your grid allowing raised direct cooking is essential.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    Plate setter or some way to do indirect cooking.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2013
    Adj Rig and High-Que. I see no reason to buy platesetter. Wished I didn't buy a couple (Lg & Sm) just no idea then.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• A good set of tongs???
    Ky??
    I couldn't egg with my woo. Buy an AR while your at it

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• @mickey
    Are you gonna cook on that thing or just keep pimping out pics of it all white and clean clean

XLBGE 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    A bottle opener, cork screw or glass of ice for the Tito's is essential.
    @mickey Are you gonna cook on that thing or just keep pimping out pics of it all white and clean clean

Caught me. That was about 5:00 yesterday. Now it looks like my old one.

• nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Mickey....I was thinking of getting the adj rig but didn't want to spend the $ since I have a platesetter and a woo.  My gut tell me I should get the rig anyway.  Who's right ...my gut or my wallet?
    Fairview, Texas
  • I love my AR and the spider combo. I have used it on almost every cook. I have a placesetter that I finally used a few weeks ago. Probably should have just returned it! Oh well. I recently got a headlight to help on my overnights. I don't have a good light source where my Egg is. Very helpful so far. Oh and my Thermopen. LOVE that thing!
  • Great discussion!  I need to get me one of those adj rigs.  Any advice on transporting the egg, like on a trailer hitch?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sam Adams..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    nemo said:

Mickey....I was thinking of getting the adj rig but didn't want to spend the $ since I have a platesetter and a woo.  My gut tell me I should get the rig anyway.  Who's right ...my gut or my wallet?

You are not alone in that thought. I have the AR and plate setter for my first large. My org thinking was to get the new Woo made for the plate setter for my second. I called and talked to Tom ( no he would not tell me which to buy) and after a long talk I ended up buying my second AR. Just works for me.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Mickey said:
    You are not alone in that thought. I have the AR and plate setter for my first large. My org thinking was to get the new Woo made for the plate setter for my second. I called and talked to Tom ( no he would not tell me which to buy) and after a long talk I ended up buying my second AR. Just works for me.
    This is funny... I just noticed this link on Tom's site after reading your post. It discusses the differences between the Woo and AR for the confused....
  • Mickey
    My friend @Eggcelsior. You are correct, I live confused X_X

• Eggcelsior
    I do too. It's even worse when I am given a choice...
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    Besides the good advice already said it kind of depends on how you want to use your egg. I wanted a second level with easy access to the bottom rack and got a Swing Rack from ceramic grill works which you can use if you have a platesetter like i have here with 10 lbs of wings. 

I have the Spider from the ceramic grill store that has already been mentioned you can use that to get a cast iron grate right above the fire or put a round bottom wok in it it like this. 

The Woo from ceramic grill store is a very nice option to cook at a raised direct I have one in my small and haven't cooked without it I just use fire bricks for my large. 

If your planning lots of low and slows you might think about a controller system to keep the temp within 2° for hours and hours I have a DigiQ Dx2 expensive but takes stress out of a overnight cook. The also have wifi ones now that you can monitor from work or on a phone. 

imageimage

Pizza stone is a must!
    A looftlighter is a easy way to get your fire started.

Then there are tons of little stuff but those are my top big ticket items that are very useful. Just be ready to add another egg to your collection!

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    AR - multiple grate/heights
    Pizza stone
    Thermopen (instant read Thermometer)
    Lots of lump (Reminds me I am down to 1 bag)

and like solson005 stated be prepared for a second Egg - its coming soon for me but don't know which one yet.

Garnerville, NY
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    edited February 2013

+1 on the Thermapen.

It's the best tool to increase the quality of your cooks. IMHO

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Essential?  
    1) Lump charcoal
    2) Some way to light lump charcoal

The rest is just "nice ta haves" ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2013
    These are high on list:
    Woo, with a matching stone and CI grid (one size down from the main grid) provide indirect cook, raised direct cook, and searing. 

A maverick or oven meat thermometer.

If I didn't have an XL, I'd need to go more vertical and add a second rack. 

The third hand is very nice tool and the thermapen is very useful. 

A second egg would be a bonus.  ;)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Eggcelsior
    Essential?  
    1) Lump charcoal

3) Beer

• Essential?  
    1) Lump charcoal

3) Beer
    How about Bourbon?
  • Thanks everyone, I'm going to do some research as I would like an adjustable rig, just need to figure out which one is right for me. 

I can see this could get to be a very expensive hobby.  In the interim, I have some old bricks and a second grate so that will have to work.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    blueinatl said:
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to do some research as I would like an adjustable rig, just need to figure out which one is right for me. 

I can see this could get to be a very expensive hobby.  In the interim, I have some old bricks and a second grate so that will have to work.
    It seemed that way to me, but the Woo and stone were less than a platesetter.  Had I known how much I was going to use this stuff, I might have gone for a spider and the AR or spider and Flip ring.  Like the egg, the CGS stuff seems to last so it is more of a one time investment than a recurring cost. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    an second egg and plenty of bourbon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I'm looking at the AR customer combo.  That seems to have everything that I'll need for a while.  hmmm, hewmbo was looking for something for my upcoming bday, I may have to suggest that...
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Second grill and bricks work fine.

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia