Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cooking a pork butt blind today

Got a 7.5 lb bone in shoulder on the egg now. Got the egg at 250 and the plan was on keeping it there until the pork hits 160-165 then pulling the butt and wrapping it I. Foil and bumping the egg to 300-325 and coot until the pork reached ~197.

But the POS maverick died. Now I guess I will have to watch the egg all day now and hope I don't over cook it.

Time to spend more money on the Egg and get a real remote thermometer/probe.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 4,968
    Hey, it's a good thing your doing pork butt. It's a can't miss. Don't sweat it, it will be great no matter what. Enjoy.
  • Go three hours -- then wrap it in a few layers of foil -- then put it back on and bump the temp up and go another three hours -- then start checking it every half hour with a couple of forks.  When it pulls easy -- put it in a cooler for at least an hour, and up to five hours before serving.
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,897
    Did 4 hours at 250. Not a dark bark like an ivernighter. Egg to 350. Foiled for 2 hours with a little apple juice. Checked 2 hours into it and pork Is at 210. Bone pulled right out. FTC right now.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 9,738
    All's well that ends well-enjoy!
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs 
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    ABC- 
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,526
    Before I got the maverick, I used a non-remote thermometer.  A good one is less than $25 and nice back up, or helpful if you have more than one thing cooking.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/oven_temp_timer.html

Not so much fun to check in 20* weather.  ;)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,897
    Ragtop99 said:

Before I got the maverick, I used a non-remote thermometer.  A good one is less than $25 and nice back up, or helpful if you have more than one thing cooking.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/oven_temp_timer.html

Not so much fun to check in 20* weather.  ;)

That's another issue. It's cold out there,

Garnerville, NY