Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

planning on starting a low and slow tonight

Question is what is the best technique to build and light for a 225 grid temp cook

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    very carefully, 225 is a tough temp to hold without a controller.  my egg is more stable 250-275 and it doesn't change timing or texture much.  cant say i cook anything at 225 anymore unless its only for a few hours like prime rib or a steak in reverse sear. 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    It's -16ºC out there tonight and I just put on a 9 lb pork shoulder. I have set it up to cook between 225º to 250ºF without the assistance of a controller.  Just put the meat on and the Maverick is showing 180º at the grill level and the meat is 38º.  I will stay up till the temperature stops rising hopefully somewhere within my target range I imagine this will take about an hour.  From past experience I should wake up with the meat being right around 170º and holding and hit around 200 around noon.  

Don't worry too much if the temperature goes a little higher than 225 or if after you put the meat on it takes a little time to get back to your stabilized temperature.

Good luck and enjoy your lunch or dinner tomorrow

Gerhard
  • I'm in the same boat. Starting my first pork butt right now! Aiming for 250-265 range. Good luck!
  • Just put mine on about 20 minutes ago.  Got the dome between 250-275, but its running pretty hot tonight for some reason.  Got the vent pretty much closed and the DFMT barely cracked. 
    Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS
  • 225 is a mark on the wall.  as long as you don't get too far over 300 (for a low and slow that is) you'll be OK.  The critical thing is to be patient when you hit the stall - and continue to push until you get to that magic 190-200.  It is worth it.  
    Good luck
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited February 2013

I'm too late for this cook but here's a great link for all things ceramic and the recipe section under pork has quite a description for building a low&slow fire.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm enjoy the cook.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    edited February 2013
    Well, the maverick woke me up twice. Once for temp too high and once for temp too low. Woke up this morning with it at 280, and brought it down to 260 before leaving for church. Wanting to try to stretch these last few hours if possible.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I put a 9#er on around 10 last night. Egg has been steady all night around 225. Woke me up when it dropped below 200 so bumped it up a bit and stead at 225. Pork is only at 58 though. Thought I would have been around 165-170 by now. Will let it go like this while at church and may bump it up as dinner gets closer.
    Dunedin, FL
  • gerhardk
    I put my 9 lb shoulder at 11:30 last night and it is at 167ºF right now, something doesn't seem right in your scenario.

Gerhard
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @yzzi I would check your thermometer in a different spot your right it should be close to the 165° or atleast way above where it it reading now. maybe just unplug the cable and plug it back it if you don't want to open the dome. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I have a 7 lb chuck shoulder on now and the egg is steady at 260.  Just get the temp up to 400 to start, load wood, food etc... and close the lid, put the cap on and close the vent to about 1/3 open. It will start to stabilize and then you open top cap and vent or close based on the temp you see.    
  • kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    edited February 2013
    Ok, I backed down to about 230, but I'm just about to hit my internal target. Obviously it's early. Am I better off leaving it on at a lower temp for another hour or two and then put it in the ice chest, or just go ahead and put it in the ice chest now?
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @kbutler84 here is a good explanation of cooler times by the Naked Whiz Cooler Holding Times you might find useful depending on when you are starting to eat. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • gerhardk
    edited February 2013
    I couldn't resist looking, here is what things looked like a little after 11:00.

Gerhard

P.S. We are planning our meal for 5 or shortly later should be in the cooler between 2 and 3 this afternoon.