Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV Boneless Leg of Lamb - Nailed it.

This is the way to do it.  Best lamb yet.

Final product:

imageimage

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Started off with boneless New Zealand lamb.  Butterflied (small cut was all it took), seasoned, slapped it in a bag.  Cooked 3 hours at 132 F.
    imageimageimageimageimage
    After three hours, threw it in some ice water for 15 minutes.  The ice water reduces the outside temp, so I can add more heat without overcooking it.  It's cooked to 132 F at this point - a perfect medium rare. 

edited February 2013
    Seared on the BGE - around 15 minutes at 500F.

Horseradish sauce - came out very delicious - the creme fraiche makes a much better sauce than regular sour cream or mayo. 

^:)^
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    it sure does look like you nailed it. Great cook.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I am still full from supper but that looks excellent

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    I've cooked a zillion legs of lamb - always have parts that are too rare, other parts overcooked, a gamey flavor, burnt, etc.  This was really easy, and cooked just right all the way through, thick and thin. It looks rarer with the flash.  Weird artifact of phood photography. ;)

That looks amazing

Large, small, and a mini
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks awesome and a great cook during Super Gras! =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks soooo good!!!
  • That gave me meat wood!
  • nolaegghead
    Solson005 said:
    I know for a fact a few fellow eggers are seeing this insanity - Mardi Gras and Super Bowl overlapping. 

The air is filled with planes, helicopters, and blimps.   We're getting buzzed by low-flying planes every 15 minutes.  The coast guard and police are zooming up and down the riverfront in high performance patrol boats.  There's a heightened state of security in town, and they're making sure it's very visible.

We biked into downtown on Friday.  Algiers/Canal ferry broke down, so we biked about a mile farther up river to the Gretna ferry, which goes to Canal also.  Picked up some "Train Wrecks" from a Gretna bar while waiting for the ferry - they looked like 40 oz Big Gulps, but were strong enough to incapacitate my buddy by about 1PM. 

We biked around the quarter, locked them up and went into a few street parties.  Everyone on the planet is broadcasting around Jackson Square and Woldenberg Park.

Here are some pics.
    I can only imagine the craziness. I know that all too well, a hand grenade and a monsoon from Port of Call did me in my first go around... I also had a time where a Purple Hooter from Lafitte's saved me from heat exhaustion 8-}  I haven't made it down for Mardi Gras but used to goto Jazz Fest every year while one of my best friends went to UNO and years after. By far my favorite city for food, fun, and culture. Its been a couple years since I've gone but I think I'm going to try and make it back this year. Have fun this crazy season and feel free to post as much OT posts as you want! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • nolaegghead
    @Solson005
    hahah, sounds like you appreciate the hedonism here like I do.  Mrs B loves music, and she's been going to Jazz fest religiously since the late 70s (middle school).  We get the Brass Pass every year and try to make every day on both weekends.   Send me a PM next time you're in town and maybe we can share a brew.
    That looks great. Nice job my man.
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Doing it SV, did you have to cut back on the herbs going into the bag compared to what you would have used going straight to the grill?
    Thanks.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Solson005 said:
    There is no place on earth like NOLA!!! Thanks for posting from my HOMETOWN !!!
    I know for a fact a few fellow eggers are seeing this insanity - Mardi Gras and Super Bowl overlapping. 

The air is filled with planes, helicopters, and blimps.   We're getting buzzed by low-flying planes every 15 minutes.  The coast guard and police are zooming up and down the riverfront in high performance patrol boats.  There's a heightened state of security in town, and they're making sure it's very visible.

We biked into downtown on Friday.  Algiers/Canal ferry broke down, so we biked about a mile farther up river to the Gretna ferry, which goes to Canal also.  Picked up some "Train Wrecks" from a Gretna bar while waiting for the ferry - they looked like 40 oz Big Gulps, but were strong enough to incapacitate my buddy by about 1PM. 

We biked around the quarter, locked them up and went into a few street parties.  Everyone on the planet is broadcasting around Jackson Square and Woldenberg Park.

Here are some pics.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    There is no place on the earth like my home town, NOLA. She' the Grand Old Lady of the South!!! Thanks for posting the pics
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Don't threaten me with a good time!  [-X I will for sure! 
  • Lamb looks awesome! Enjoy the festivities today!
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Lamb looks great! Hope there is some of the city left come Thursday when we get there!
    Lynnwood WA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I don't eat lamb but would like to try that.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    hapster said:
    Damn!!! Looks great! Lamb is on my list. Wife doesn't like it... Too bad ;)
    same here.  I buy her a piece of fish when I make lamb for the rest of the family.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Nola.....How did you determine the 3hrs?  Was it dependent on thickness, poundage, or what?  And by the way..........did you get your HiFi rig running and how is it coming?
  • nolaegghead
    Nola.....How did you determine the 3hrs?  Was it dependent on thickness, poundage, or what?  And by the way..........did you get your HiFi rig running and how is it coming?
    It's all about thickness.  I checked the temp at 3 hours and it was 132 through and through, so I pulled it off.  And I was getting hungry.

Yep, rig is up and running :D   I just finished the cart/table last night, need to somehow move that 300 pound monster in the house and put the gear on it.
    That looks real good!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    nolaegghead Did you decide to do the 3 hours instead of the 1 to 2 days the books call for , because you butterflied it so it would be more like the thickness of chops?
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • nolaegghead
    @billyray I decided to treat it as a steak.  Lamb leg is pretty tender and I wanted something for dinner that day.  The problem I have with it is cooking it evenly to where we like it - MR.   This was more like a hot-tub.