Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning baking stone

First time using baking stone.  How should I clean it afterwards?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Why clean it...use a plastic scraper and wipe with a damp rag.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    The more you use it, the darker and more non stick it will become. I season a new stone by baking a few batches of biscuits or crescent rolls (Pillsbury). The high fat content helps to season the stone. I never clean it, just wipe off excess oil while its hot using a paper towel.
    njl Posts: 1,123
    You really shouldn't have to clean it. 

Do not use soap if you do clean it.
  • GBC
    GBC Posts: 58
    I just cooked on it for the first time.  Afterwards I flipped it and cranked the heat up between 600 & 700.  Going to check it in a few minutes and hope all the sauce has been burnt off.  
  • I scraped off crusty cheese and sauce remnants from my pizza stone today with a razor scraper, but I wouldn't worry about cleaning it.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • The only time I "clean" it is when I use it as a heat deflector and it gets drippings on it. Then I just flip it and crank the heat. Otherwise, it's all good.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I just use hot water and a razor blade when the gunk builds up. I treat it like CI and don't want to take the seasoning out with soap

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    You can put it (and platesetter) in the oven on a self clean cycle. Works great.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Putty knife and wire brush as needed to remove gunk or build up. Heat her up and go for it.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    The first pizza I made on a peel (metal) I didn't know what I was doing; when I "snapped" the pie onto the stone the sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms and cheese all transferred perfectly.  The dough was still stuck to the peel.   @-)
    I had to just turn the oven off at go out for dinner at that point.  Everything was so burned on I actually used my belt sander to clean everything off.  
    But, now, just a scraper and a damp cloth, no soap.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I know our PC stones only require a plastic scraper and wet/damp towel...they are slick. We don't use them on the egg though.. I'd like to stay married.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN