Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What wood to use for jerked chicken and is this a low and slow or 375 degree cook?

Options
What wood to use for jerked chicken pimento is not an option and is this a low and slow or 375 degree cook?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    I'm in the raised grid direct (350-400*F on the dome) for all chix-boneless breasts thru spatchcock birds. The spatchcock birds generally take around 45-50 mins to the finish temp.  Wood wise-I use a small amount (about 1 chunk) of cherry as poultry will take lots of smoke.  FWIw and it's just an opinion-take some notes on whatever you to then adjust the next round as you see fit.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I just use lump in lieu of pimento wood.   When I think jerk chicken, I'm assuming bone in thighs or maybe breasts.  I just do them direct grilled, 375f would be fine. 

I saw some pimento lump company advertising a free pound of their lump on Twitter this weekend if you just pay shipping.  Not sure what they were charging but I was going to look into it.  I've always wanted to try the real stuff. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    I do my wings indirect at 250 for two hours then I hike it up to 350 for about 20 minutes.  Most of the fat is rendered off into the drip pan.  I use an authentic Jamaican Jerk marinade that is quite spicy.  I make a nice blue cheese sauce for dipping.  I mainly use mesquite chips.  I use Pecan chips for turkey.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • GrillFriend
    Options
    I'd be very cautions about the "just pay for shipping" scam. I know there is only one approved exporter of wood from jamaica that's been in business for 5+ years.