Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork TenderLoin-1st Time BGE

Hello All, Long Time Reader, First Time Poster. I have about a 3 pound pre marinated Pork Tenderloin I want to Cook Indirectly. Any Suggestions on Time and Temp? What about a good wood to smoke with?  Thanks!!

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Cook to 145. I would not get too aggressive with the smoke. Pecan, apple, cherry, hickory, are all good, just don't treat it like a butt. You will want to kiss it with smoke. I would say 300-350 for 40 - 50 min would do. More about temp of meat, check with therm. I would probably do this direct myself.
  • If I do Direct, what do you recommend?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited February 2013
    I do pork tenderloins raised grid direct around 350-400*F on the dome for about 30 mins or so  til I hit the finish temp-138-140*F.  Remove and tent for around 10 mins-slice and enjoy-FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    edited February 2013
    The last one I did I did indirect at 275°± and it didn't get the nice color/texture that I was looking for. I agree with the advise given thus far, direct raised if higher heat and to the temp they've recommended. I was happy with the internal juiciness and tenderness of the loin after I pulled that last one at 140 and it carried over perfectly.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • I am new to BGE and just did BB ribs and tenderloin at the same time. I put the ribs on my rib rack with the tenderloins under the rack. Cooked for 6 hours at 220. Everything was excellent but the tenderloins did not have the bark I prefer. Any ideas??
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Jellyworm said:
    I am new to BGE and just did BB ribs and tenderloin at the same time. I put the ribs on my rib rack with the tenderloins under the rack. Cooked for 6 hours at 220. Everything was excellent but the tenderloins did not have the bark I prefer. Any ideas??

I like to cook my tenderloin at 400 direct. I like to almost "sear " mine and it gives it great bark. Cook to desired internal temp. When you cut into it it will fill your plate with a ton of juice!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • I will try your way tomorrow for the Super Bowl party we are going to. If I can figure out how to post I will take pics to show results!
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    edited February 2013
  • KingtUT
    I do my pork tenderloins direct at 275-300 for about 40-45 minutes, with one flip at 20-25 minutes. As far as im concerned these are as good as anything ive done on the egg.  Perfect bark and the juices....oh my! 
  • KingtUT
    as you can tell, i need help with editing my posts, anyone care to enlighten me?
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Pork tenderloins are one of my favorite cuts of meat.  I normally use Texas BBQ Grand Champion rub....cook it direct @ 400* dome on raised grill till internal temp hits 140.  I rotate the loin every 10 minutes...it's easy to overcook, check temp often after 20 min on the grill.  Tent for 15 min.  Enjoy.
    Fairview, Texas
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Sometimes I use DP Red Eye Express. I don't think I would on a marinated one though. Try it some time, it is really good and different. I truss two tenderloins together end to end and cook then slice into 11/2" medallions. Best bang for the buck out there as far as protien IMO.
  • Thanks for all of the input!! I went the Direct route as suggested and it turned out great. Thanks to all. Will be doing BB Ribs for Super Bowl tomorrow.