Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe for a vinegar based barbecue sauce

Anybody have a great vinegar based BBQ sauce recipe? Have plans for cooking pulled pork the next two weekends. Would love any suggestions.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This has been popular over the years for some folksw.

Sauce, BBQ, J.K's WIld Boar Soul BBQ, Mr. Beal's

Yes, we have (all sorts of) real BBQ in Seattle. An eclectic mix of folks from lots of different places. In the 80's there was a tiny place up on Cherry St (!), called J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ. You had to watch out for the needles on the sidewalk, dark little room with years of smoke on it, you'd order a pile of meat, and get a side of incredible beans, and 2 slices of white bread wrapped in foil. And change for the pop machine if you needed it. The proprietors name was Beal, I believe. As I recall, a retired navy cook and utter BBQ maestro. His sauce was spectatular, and he's also use that sauce as a base for his beans.

INGREDIENTS:  
    Mix in big pot over low heat  
    1/6 cup    salt  
    2 cups    sugar  
    1/2 Cup, Heaping    Packed brown sugar  
    1 cup    beef boullion strong  
    6 cups    H20  
    When sugars dissolve, add  
    1 cup    yellow mustard  

1/2 cup    white vinegar  
    1/2 cup    Wrights liquid smoke. Yes, that's right.  
    1 cup    Worcestershire  
    2 cups    (16oz) tomato paste, or 3-6 ozs cans paste  

Kitchen Bouquet to darken (Optional, don't worry if you don't have this)  

Chili Powder (the real thing), cayenne, Daves, whatever to add heat.  

Hatch ground chile is my favorite.  

I might try adding baby schezuan peppers or chili pequins next time.  

I also like to make a not too hot sauce, and serve with lots of sliced fresh jalapeno.  

Procedure:
    1 Simmer bubbling slowly for 2 hours.... will reduce by 1/3 and darken.
    2 I immediately tried to improve on this (added bourbon, tried rum, tried bourbon infused chipotle chiles) but everything I did only make the sauce worse.
    3 This would even be good on vanilla ice cream!
    4 May your clothes always smell smoky!
    Some answers to questions about making this august recipe:
    HOW MUCH CHILE POWDER TO ADD?..
    1 ..It's impossible to tell- some chile powder is as hot as hell, some's not, and some folks like really HOT sauce, some can't handle it. But I think you can find out quickly..... if it's HOT, just add so much (1/4 cup?) at a time, and then taste. That's about the only way I know of not to get into trouble with Scoville!
    2 Personally. I like stuff pretty dang HOT. But since not many of my friends do (weenies!), I make it pretty "weak", and then add the hot either by spice or by fresh chopped jalapeño or serrano, to my own servings. I've been using this stuff called Chipotle Morita lately chopped chipotle peppers). Or (my soapbox) seek out HATCH chile powder from HATCH N.M. Delicious deep red rich stuff. OR...since it makes so much, I split it up and leave some of it "MILD" and make some of it "ROCKIN'".(Kinda like rough chopped chipotle peppers).
    HOW MUCH KITCHEN BOUQUET TO ADD?
    1 Well, I haven't the vaguest, but the recipe says "Add to darken" so a few small pourings (3 TBS) seems to darken the sauce somewhat, so there I go!
    HOW LONG TO COOK?
    1 I watched a friend make this weekend, and he got confused. He didn't cook it enough. You need to simmer, so it's bubbling at, gosh how shall I say it... a low to medium rate, for 2 hours. Stove set at 2/3 the distance between low and medium. It will lose about 1/3 of its volume, and get darker and thicker. When it's done, it's not thin like it started out, and it's not paste. Stir occasionally, but I've never had it stick. If it's getting sauce on your stove as it cooks, you probably have it on too high!
    2 Vaya Con BBQ!

Yield: This is a "1/2" recipe, and makes 2 quarts.

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source

Source: BGE Forum, Mike Flaherty, 2001/03/30

When Beal quit in the mid 80's, I thought my life was over. There was no other BBQ that even came close here. And it was the sauce that shone.

So the other night, I'm at a guy's house, downing margaritas and sampling various hot sauces, and he says "Try this!" I immediately knew what it was..... Beals sauce! Amazing. This guy had eaten at the wild boar every week for years. He and his wife would bring in their attempts to duplicate the sauce, and after months of trying, Mr. Beal took pity on them and finally gave them his recipe.

You should REALLY REALLY REALLY try this. I believe that it's an inspired compendium of common ingredients, whose sum is infinitly greater than it's individual components.

• Very simple but perfect:
    2c cider or white vinegar (I've also used a cup of each)
    2T sugar or brown sugar
    2tsp salt
    1tsp fresh ground black pepper
    1tsp cayenne

Combine all and stir to dissolve the sugar.  You can serve it room temp or chilled and it keeps forever.  I put it in a squeeze bottle and it goes a long way.

Theres also a "red" version where you can substitute a half cup of vinegar for ketchup, cut the cayenne, sugar, and salt in half, and leave out the pepper
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I like this one:
    Ingredients

1 cup white vinegar

1 cup cider vinegar

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™), or to taste

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    Hide Checklist
    Adjust Servings

Adjust
    Metric US Original recipe yields 2 cups
    Directions

Combine the white vinegar, cider vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper in a jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 days before using so that the flavors will blend. Shake occasionally, and store for up to 2 months in the refrigerator.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337

i know the one richard posted is not vinager based but if you get the chance make it it is awesome. after that you can mix 2 cups of vinager with one cup opf richards recipe. that is how i make mine when i want vinager based.

my $.02

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

500 Posts: 3,177
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
    Member since 2009
    Member since 2009
    Member since 2009