Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Publix Brand hardwood lump

I gave it a shot this weekend because I ran out of lump and didn't want to drive to restock on Wicked Good tonight. It's a no go. Snap, Crackle, Pop....oh my God! I thought I was going to catch on fire every time I lifted the lid. No weird taste and smallish, average pieces. But it pops like crazy throughout the cook. I won't buy this again unless I'm in a pinch and have to.
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• I had one that was doing that quite a bit recently.. Trying to remember if it was Best of the West (from Sam's) or B&B (from Academy).. I was going to use B&B this weekend, but I might have to go buy some more Royal Oak to be safe.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I once had a couple bags of Royal Oak that snap, crackled and popped it all came off the same skid from the Restaurant Depot so I think it is a crap shoot. I went back a couple months later and bought some and it was fine.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I use greenwise often and have never experienced that. I've had consistent results with larger pieces
    Dunedin, FL
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    JRWhitee said:
    I once had a couple bags of Royal Oak that snap, crackled and popped it all came off the same skid from the Restaurant Depot so I think it is a crap shoot. I went back a couple months later and bought some and it was fine.

I've also had the same thing happen with RO, but not often.  Overall though, I'm happy with the product.  Although I haven't tried the Wicked Good that so many people on here have talked about.  I've got a couple of bags of RO sitting in my garage right now, but once I'm down to 1 bag, I'm going to order a couple of bags of Wicked Good from Ace and have it shipped to my local Ace dealer for free.  Worth a shot I guess.
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    I had the same experience.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    The local Mal Wart unstocked RO during the Holidays so had to grab half a dozen bags of Publix Greenwise. Besides being like a buck or so a bag more than MW RO the PG lump tended to be half the size on average. I had to get creative to burn it all up, lotsa powder, too. Snap crack pop seems to come with every brand to some degree. MW has RO again but am glad at least that Publix had their lump when MW did not.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I'm not running out any time soon.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• I wrote Walmart a letter last year about running out of lump during the holidays and this year they kept it coming.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    yzzi said:
    I use greenwise often and have never experienced that. I've had consistent results with larger pieces
    I've had one or two bags of Publix Greenwise do the snap crackle and pop thing.  More recently though, I've had a disappointing string of them where some bags have been mostly lots of very small pieces and have been very hard to get lit.  I'm taking a break from Greenwise.
  • My Walmart in Sarasota just started carrying B&B Oak lump. It pops a little bit but so far I'm pleased. It's about $7 for a 10lb bag with good size pieces. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)