Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sad day. Egg is frozen shut.

Options
The Egg is frozen shut and I don't want to take a chance of damaging gasket prying it apart. Now these poor chicken wings are going to have to go in the oven.
LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
Columbus IN

Comments

• RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    Options
    If it is not too late just open the lower draft door, open the vent on top, and build a newspaper (or other type of) fire in the lower chamber. With enough fire and heat it will defrost the gasket enough to open it. I have had to do that several times.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    Options
    I bet a hair dryer might thaw it out enough to open without damaging the gasket.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Brilliant! I knew somebody could help me out of this depression! I'll give it a shot.
    Columbus IN
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    RocEGG said:
    If it is not too late just open the lower draft door, open the vent on top, and build a newspaper (or other type of) fire in the lower chamber. With enough fire and heat it will defrost the gasket enough to open it. I have had to do that several times.
    Agreed.  I had to do this on my last cook.  Bundle of newspapers in thru the bottom vent and had the lid open in no time.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• daveyray72
    Options
    I live in Minnesota and have to thaw the gasket all the time in the winter.  No big deal.  A hair dryer will work, or I use a piece of paper towel soaked in vegetable oil and place that in the bottom through the air intake...by the time the towel burns out, the gasket is usually freed up.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Tell me more about the ceramic gasket...

Columbus IN
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Tell me more about the ceramic gasket...

No gasket= ceramic gasket.
    Edina, MN

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Ok I feel dumb now. No issues with no gasket at all?
    Columbus IN
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Ok I feel dumb now. No issues with no gasket at all?

Quite a few eggers have burned off their gasket and never replaced it.
    Edina, MN

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Good to know. Thanks!
    Columbus IN
  • Chef Charles
    Options

It gets routinely cold here in Ottawa and my egg always starts to freeze up during the winter months.  For the last few years, I have placed some wood shims between the dome and base once it has cooled down a bit.  This year, I have tried something different.  I have cut 4 4 inch lenghts of galvanized hanger tape and place them between the dome and base as I shut the egg down (I fold them to fit on top of the edge).  It does not seem to interfer in any material way the cooling down process and I have not had any problems what so ever in opening the egg for the next cook.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_302149-33599-AV302149_0__?productId=1244159

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Cool. Thanks for the ideas Chef Charles.
    Columbus IN
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    That means there will be six more weeks of winter.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I love these post. Nothing ever freezes here in Mississippi. And if it does no body moves cause we are all scared of snow and ice.

For some odd reason it seams exciting to me to be out in -20 trying to thaw my egg to get inside and put a butt on for 16 hours in a blizzard!

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Good to know. Thanks!
    If you want to go the gasket-less route, don't let the dome slam shut.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I love these post. Nothing ever freezes here in Mississippi. And if it does no body moves cause we are all scared of snow and ice. For some odd reason it seams exciting to me to be out in -20 trying to thaw my egg to get inside and put a butt on for 16 hours in a blizzard!
    If it dips below 25 F or so with snow, they freak out here in New Orleans.  They'll shut down the bridges and close the schools.  They dump sand on the road - WTF?!  Sand is like a lubricant on concrete.  Salt, mo-Fers, use salt!
    Options
    Can't the mangrate prevent it from freezing shut? ;->

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

I love these post. Nothing ever freezes here in Mississippi. And if it does no body moves cause we are all scared of snow and ice.

For some odd reason it seams exciting to me to be out in -20 trying to thaw my egg to get inside and put a butt on for 16 hours in a blizzard!

If it dips below 25 F or so with snow, they freak out here in New Orleans.  They'll shut down the bridges and close the schools.  They dump sand on the road - WTF?!  Sand is like a lubricant on concrete.  Salt, mo-Fers, use salt!

Yup. When we have a forecast of snow Walmart runs out of bread and milk schools shut down and some business close. Crazy people barley know how to drive in the rain. We had a record breaking inch of snow after new year and the town shut down. It was melted before lunch.

XLBGE