Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef back ribs awesome

Just did some beef back ribs. Used this recipe. Awesome

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/09/beef-back-ribs-aka-dino-bones.html

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    =P~
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I just get the kitchen all cleaned up after dinner and now I'm hungry again! Billyray, that does look tasty! Great cook! CONGRATS! ^:)^
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    My new favorite
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    nice!!!!doin ribs this weekend!going to try this recipe for sure!thanks billyray! :D
  • Leedog
    Leedog Posts: 18
    Ribs look great!! I know what I am having just as soon as I get back in the Great USA Saturday morning.........
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Those look like they turned out great! 

Beef back ribs are my favorite rib and you have me craving them right now.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Those look amazing, I will definitely try them out.  

Question:
    I once tried putting a fist size chuck of wood like they seem to be recommending. It produced so much smoke, I chickened out and removed it to put small chips instead. How come when they put the meat in the video there is barely any smoke and yet, they show a big chunk in the pictures? 
    Quebec - Canada
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks great - I love beef ribs, but I never think to buy them.  Thanks for the reminder!
    Bjorg said:
    Those look amazing, I will definitely try them out.  

Question:
    I once tried putting a fist size chuck of wood like they seem to be recommending. It produced so much smoke, I chickened out and removed it to put small chips instead. How come when they put the meat in the video there is barely any smoke and yet, they show a big chunk in the pictures? 
    It may have caught on fire but that will quickly be snuffed out do to the lack of air-flow. Then it will just smolder.When you put the chunks in, let it sit for a bit and the smoke will begin to clear. You want the "clean smoke" that is bluish and translucent.
  • Bjorg
    Yeah it was definitely bad thick white smoke. I guess it takes much longer to get clear smoke than with chips. While waiting for this answer, I searched the forum and a guy recommended putting the chunk as you light the lump. So your right, waiting it out should solve it. 

Quebec - Canada
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mix it in with the lump so you get steady smoke.  Less smoke for longer makes much better BBQ than heavy smoke for a short period.  Always wait for good the good smoke like eggcelsior said above.
    Mix it in with the lump so you get steady smoke.  Less smoke for longer makes much better BBQ than heavy smoke for a short period.  Always wait for good the good smoke like eggcelsior said above.
    The mods should make this Stike pictorial one of those sticky threads....

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited January 2013
    I forgot to mention that I used red oak and that made them even better. If you can get red oak you've got to try it and you'll never use any other wood with the beef ribs. Also these were only $2.99/lb., makes for an inexpensive meal.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Bjorg
    Good tips. I would never have guessed to use red oak, I will try it out. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    The butcher left a lot of meat on them bones! Lucky you. I don't usually find them that meaty but wish I did. Looks great!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Beef back ribs on the egg as we speak. Will pull at halftime of Kentucky- Texas A & M game. Game at A & M but I'm confident KY will win this one on the road.