Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Info on dimensions

Just bought an egg (large)...making a table for it...seems to be some question regarding the height of the second shelf because the new eggs have a different hinge that changes the old dimensions of the table (?).. Appreciate any help.  Alsok, I purchased a paver stone 12 X 12 for it to sit on...will the egg sit okay on this size stone?

Comments

• Biggreenegg.com has them all. Go under the tables section and its at the bottom

XLBGE 
  • That paver stone is fine. Big discussion about if its safe or not. I use it but do some reading.

XLBGE 
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    edited January 2013

I bought my table from the dealer, after about a month i noticed the hinge hitting the table . Contacted dealer he told me to measure , it should be no more than 15 3/4 " , mine measured 15 7/8 " which is why my hinge hit.Big Green Egg plans say 15"

Mine also sits on a paver but for added sucurity i also set it on feet (for an air gap).

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    12 x 12 sounds a little small if you're using ceramic feet with a paver. For a reference here's mine (15 1/2 x 15 1/2 paver):
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q said:
    12 x 12 sounds a little small if you're using ceramic feet with a paver. For a reference here's mine (15 1/2 x 15 1/2 paver): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I don't have the little feet...it will set directly on the stone...is that a problem?
  • I bought my table from the dealer, after about a month i noticed the hinge hitting the table . Contacted dealer he told me to measure , it should be no more than 15 3/4 " , mine measured 15 7/8 " which is why my hinge hit.Big Green Egg plans say 15"

Mine also sits on a paver but for added sucurity i also set it on feet (for an air gap).

Do you have a paver brick and/or feet on your egg?
  • aimhigh,

yes I have a paver and I set it on the feet, not sure it is necessary but I don't want to have a burnt table either.

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome. I'm fairly new to this but will share from my experiences. If you can, wait on building the table. Take time to see what your needs are and your wants. There are so many variables. I egg right outside my mancave/garage and can even pull it in if needed. I have electricity, water, lighting, storage, prep station, etc...so I built my table simple. Nice, but simple. Just a few thoughts. Be sure to post picks.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:

Welcome. I'm fairly new to this but will share from my experiences. If you can, wait on building the table. Take time to see what your needs are and your wants. There are so many variables. I egg right outside my mancave/garage and can even pull it in if needed. I have electricity, water, lighting, storage, prep station, etc...so I built my table simple. Nice, but simple. Just a few thoughts. Be sure to post picks.

This is money! I waited a year, and figured out a lot! From what I wanted and needed to also gathering ideas from others. Now I don't have all the bells and whistle pineapple has but I'm working on finishing it to my liken

XLBGE 
  • R2Egg2Q
    aimhigh said:

R2Egg2Q said:

12 x 12 sounds a little small if you're using ceramic feet with a paver. For a reference here's mine (15 1/2 x 15 1/2 paver):
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I don't have the little feet...it will set directly on the stone...is that a problem?

It is recommended to have an air gap under the Egg. BGE discontinued making feet and now sell a table nest (stand) to lift the Egg a little and provide an air gap.

Here's some reading for you: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    edited January 2013
    Sorry, double post.

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited January 2013
    Mickey has pointed this out before, but Lowes has clay feet for planters - $5-6 for set of three. They work great under the egg. Using a paver or some other stone tile type of thing under the feet is still recommended though.

When you make your table, the measurement is from the TOP of the lower shelf/surface to the TOP of the upper shelf/surface/counter. Minimum distance is 15" for the LBGE.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • If your gasket is about 2 inches above the table top your hinge should clear the frame.  Dimension from gasket line to the ground is 36 inches on my rig.  Standard counter top height and it is very comfortable.  The both vent door is at a convenient height.  Mine is sitting on feet resting on an old piece of Southern Pine 2 x 12.  No problems or burning wood.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Thank you all for your information. Got the table together...the top is exactly 15" above the base of the egg...the hinge hits the table and I had to cut grooves for it...no biggie, but were I to do it again I would make the height 14". Ended up using a planter support that I purchased from Lowe's...took the wheels off...it adds 1" to the height of the egg...yes, I did take that into account when setting the height of the top of the table.  Cooked our first meal on it...roasted a chicken...350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours...perfect...juicy...makes me glad I bought the egg.