Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mahi Filets & Scallops on CI Griddle - with pics

Options
Crispix49
Crispix49 Posts: 191
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
Made some mahi filets and scallops last night on the CI half-moon griddle.  Turned out very good.  Preheated the Egg to about 425* and put griddle on raised direct to let heat up and soak for about 25 minutes or so.

image          image

I dusted the mahi with DP Tsunami Spin and the scallops with a little blackening seasoning. 

When hot, thew a couple dollops of Smart Balance spread on the griddle and cooked the mahi filets for about 10-12 minutes until flaky.  Cooked scallops for only about 3-4 minutes to get a little sear on the outside. 

image       image       image

Served over rice with a little sweat chili sauce to go with it.  Tasted great.  My SWMBO, has a new respect for the egg now.  She was growing a little tired of butts, ribs and brisket.

The CI griddle is nice eggcessory for flaky white fishes that tend to pull apart if done direct on the grid.  In my opinion, one of the least talked about, more underrated accessories out there. 

Beverages of choice:  Four Roses Bourbon - Single Barrel and American Spirit Whiskey, which a buddy of mine owns. 

Atlanta suburbs
Large & Mini owner
UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!

Comments

• Que_n_Brew
    Options
    Wow. That looks great. Gonna have to look into that half moon griddle. Thanks for sharing.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Crispix49 said:

The CI griddle is nice eggcessory for flaky white fishes that tend to pull apart if done direct on the grid.  In my opinion, one of the least talked about, more underrated accessories out there. 

Couldn't agree more.  Other than a wok, also one of the most versatile.  Nice not having to fight the walls of a skillet.   

The booze and seafood look good from here.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• duck_hunter
    Options
    Great looking cook!

I love the half moon, great for breakfast on the egg, I also like to do hot sandwiches, last week was ham and pear panini sandwiches 

going to have to try the fish
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • hartofatiger
    Options

Very nice!  Can't wait to try some scallops.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Nicely done!! I get a lot of use out out of my CI half moon griddle grate too. I hadn't thought of using it for a fragile piece of fish. I need to change my think as can be seen from your post.

It is important to keep your CFO (Chief Female Officer) happy. I make sure to regularly make things I know she likes. It paid off for me at Christmas time. I was getting money together for my second Egg and was thinking I might have to wait til February to get it. My wife was so happy with the food I was turning out for her, friends & family that she made up the shortfall gladly.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    That cast iron half moon is on my wish list  --  it is perfect to blacken fish on !!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Looks terrific! I was just thinking last night that I need to add more seafood to the rotation.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Great lookin fish.  I got a CI griddle for Christmas and have not used it yet.  This looks like the perfect way to break her in.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Look's great! Thanks for sharing.

Ricky

Boerne, TX