Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much &&& to fix a crack?

Options
Just had a guy offer to sell me his LBGE at a crazy low price. Problem is the base is cracked. I haven't seen it but he says it is not bad. The only thing I know he has with it is the nest. Does anybody know what a new base would cost? Without seeing it what do you think this jewel would be worth? I plan to go look at it tomorrow.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    I believe they are around $365.00
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    if he is the origional purchaser he should be able to get it replaced, its not worth much if the base is cracked
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    @fishlessman ... He knocked the damn thing over so no warranty.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Hope he was buzzed when he did it.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    well if i was looking at it, i would offer to take it away for free, its not worth much if the base is really worth what was posted above, the fire box and ring are probably broken as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    No harm in trying to take it off his hands for free. I have heard of folks repairing cracks, even piecing together broken domes and bases, with JB weld. If you do that, high temp cooks would not be a good idea, but for low and slow smoking it should be just fine. I wouldn't pay too much for it though if it is broken.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Personally I would not even bother, as fishlessman said, it is basically worthless.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    How big's the crack? If it's a hairline its one thing, if you see daylight through it run
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I might pay $100 bucks for it.  Live with it if I could, otherwise try to break it clean in two and JB weld it.  Plan C would be buy a new base, or find on from some unlucky guy that cracked his dome.
    Options

Life is short, they say. Spend more time and effort in cooking and postin pics here so the rest of us can drool :))

Stay away from crack.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Buying a new base is the best option.

Cooking with a cracked or repaired base is a hazard to have a red hot fire fall out the bottom where it sits.  If you happen to be standing there with a hose...no problem at all.  If you aren't there, then this is where you could have a problem that isn't worth risking. IMHO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• pj253
    pj253 Posts: 2
    Options
    I was able to pick up a cracked medium egg. I was quoted about 300 to replace the base.

I decided to use some JB Weld, which is non toxic, and have had really no trouble.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If everything else is intact, 300-400 is not a bad deal for a used large. Especially if all you have to do is buy a new base.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Did you check out the egg?

XLBGE 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    @mrcookingnurse .... I talked to the guy Friday and he was supposed to call me back that evening and I haven't heard nothing back. Probably a good thing.