Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to get good bbq in Toronto Ontario....and some dizzy pig too!!!

So im heading to Toronto in the next few weeks to see Bon Jovi for my wifes 40th birthday and was wondering if anybody can suggest a good bbq place to eat there.I here phil's bbq in Toronto is good are there any other's to check out? Im also going to pick up some dizzy pig while im there too does anybody know off hand where I can get it.

thanks! 

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Will you have a car?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited January 2013
    If you find yourself in Kitchener the Lancaster Smoke House makes pretty darn good BBQ and if you are in London Ontario there is this place called Shmokey Rob 'n Sons in a crappy mall at the corner of Wonderland and Oxford.  I think Rob 'n Sons would almost be worth the drive from Toronto, the only problem is they close when they run out of food so often they aren't there during their advertised hours.

Gerhard

P.S.  If you have a car in Toronto there is a Home Hardware store on Avenue Road near the 401 that sells Green Eggs and BBQ supplies, just a couple of minutes south of the highway

• Little Steven

These guys are the largest egg dealer in the city. I think they have Dizzy Pig but not sure,

t: 416-487-4029
    f: 416-487-4999
    2028 Avenue Road
    Toronto, ON M5M 4A4
    store@dicksonhh.com

If you have wheels then you have to visit this place.

http://www.bbqs.com/dizzy-pig-m-59.html

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

No car unfortunatly but I would be willing to pay for a taxi for a short distance or a subway.We are staying at the sheraton in downtown Toronto.There is a show that air's on the food network called "you gotta eat here" and they went to phils bbq and it looked pretty good! Ive never had brisket before so i was going to check them out.

• CANMAN1976
    Thanks LS. I will try my best to check that place out.

• Little Steven
    They are north of the city but you could get there on transit. They aren't far from Yorkdale subway station. Google TTC for details. The place is like Barbeque Nirvana

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    CANMAN, go to the dizzy pig website, punch in the postal code of the place you're staying at in the find a dealer section and you'll get all the locations within a specified distance. I often come into TO from the north, and always stop at a place in Concord (Vaughan) to load up on supplies I can't readily access at home. Unfortunately without a car, you won't be able to access it this trip, but their website is www.bbqs.com. I've ordered a few things from them, and their shipping is ridiculously fast. I've ordered in the morning and it's arrived the next day.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Little Steven
    That's Ontario Gas BBQ. Great place eh? He can get there on transit or subway and a cab

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    We have been to Phil's and really wasn't that impressed but it may have been because they were really busy after their Food Network exposure so it may not have been a true reflection of what they do.  You can get to Phils pretty easily from the Sheraton just take the subway to College and then catch a west bound street car, it'll be long ride so find a seat.  Phils will be on the right side of the street.

Gerhard
  • Little Steven
    edited January 2013

http://www.ttc.ca/Trip_planner/index.jsp

Well that didn't work.

Leaving at 11:07am
    93 minutes
    Leaving at 11:06am 94 minutes Leaving at 11:06am 94 minutes Walking Only minutes
    Note There are service advisories associated with your trip. You may need to allow extra time to reach your destination.

Option 1

2 transfers

Leaving at 11:07am from Accessible UNION STATION - NORTHBOUND PLATFORM towards FINCH
    Using these routes Subway/RT Accessible YONGE-UNIVERSITY-SPADINA SUBWAY
    Bus AccessibleBicycle Rack Available WEST - 60D STEELES WEST towards HIGHWAY 27
    Bus Bicycle Rack Available NORTH - 35D JANE towards LANGSTAFF RD EXTRA FARE REQUIRED NORTH OF STEELES
    Arriving at 12:40pm at EDGELEY BLVD AT LANGSTAFF RD

• FINCH STATION - Late evening closure between Eglinton Station and Finch Station. Projected completion by December 2013.
    • WEST - 60D STEELES WEST towards HIGHWAY 27 - Service change effective March 25
    • FINCH STATION - Late evening closure between Eglinton Station and Finch Station. Projected completion by December 2013.
    • WEST - 60D STEELES WEST towards HIGHWAY 27 - Service change effective March 25
    Note There are service advisories associated with your trip. You may need to allow extra time to reach your destination.

Option 2

2 transfers

Leaving at 11:06am from UNION STATION - NORTHBOUND PLATFORM towards DOWNSVIEW
    Using these routes Subway/RT YONGE-UNIVERSITY-SPADINA SUBWAY
    Bus AccessibleBicycle Rack Available WEST - 96B WILSON towards HUMBERLINE & ALBION
    Bus Bicycle Rack Available NORTH - 35D JANE towards LANGSTAFF RD EXTRA FARE REQUIRED NORTH OF STEELES

• WEST - 96B WILSON towards HUMBERLINE & ALBION - Service change effective March 26
    • WEST - 96B WILSON towards HUMBERLINE & ALBION - Service change effective March 26

Option 3

2 transfers

Leaving at 11:06am from Accessible UNION STATION - NORTHBOUND PLATFORM towards DOWNSVIEW
    Using these routes Subway/RT Accessible YONGE-UNIVERSITY-SPADINA SUBWAY
    Bus AccessibleBicycle Rack Available WEST - 108 DOWNSVIEW towards JANE & DRIFTWOOD

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Greeno55
    LS, I love that store. The lump selection for one is unreal, and I've never gone in there and not be able to walk out with any accessory, BGE, or something else I was looking for. Actually, I usually end up walking out with way more than I anticipated. With all this talk though, I just remembered that Ontario Gas BBQ is closed weekends through January and February. It is a place I highly recommend. They are my Dizzy Pig suppliers. If anyone is in the area during the week, make a quick trip up the road to Edilcan to Vincentina Meats for the most delicious grilled steak sandwich you'll ever have. I hear their porketta is pretty darn good too.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Looks like i am SOL for any Dizzy products near home, closest dealer is 230 miles away. Any recomendations on a few types to try if i can place an order on line?
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    CANMAN1976 - I've lived in the Toronto my entire life and know it really well. Including the spots you mention - the Sheraton Centre and Phil's BBQ.

Ironically my wife and her girl friend are going to Bon Jovi at the ACC on Feb 17. I suspect that you're going to the same concert unless you're going on the 18th. 

Phil's BBQ is OK - but if you're looking for great - you'll be disappointed. I truly can't recommend a really good place for BBQ in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) unless you go to Little Steven's house. (LOL) Maybe GOV can hook you up - although I think he might be in Hawaii.

In Toronto, you'd be better off going on a quest to find a great burger, poutine, greek, indian, asian or italian food. There will be ALL kinds of GREAT places that you can get to via the TTC or a cab from the Sheraton Centre. Also note the PATH system that connects much of downtown Toronto underground.   There is a place in the distillery district that displays an egg in front of their restaurant but I've never actually seen them cook on it.  The distillery district is a great area - it would be worth visiting even if they don't cook on the egg for you.

In terms of Dizzy Pig, you're best bet would be Ontario Gas BBQ or Dickson's. Both of which would be difficult to get to without a car. You could get to DIckson's using the TTC but you'll spend a fair amount of time traveling.  Actually, if you're flying into Toronto and planning on taking a cab downtown, you could probably have the cab swing by Dickson's on the way downtown. It would cost you a few extra $$ for the cab - extra stop, but it's a viable option.

The most convenient way to get Dizzy Pig might be to have Ontario Gas BBQ deliver them to the Sheraton Centre OR if you send me a list of what you want, I'll pick some up and drop them off for you. Who knows, maybe my wife could drop it off for you BEFORE the concert.

If you're interested, e-mail me at mosheac555@rogers.com

Cheers,

Michael

• CANMAN1976

Wow guys thanks for all the info!! Will do my best to get to that store and i may or may not hit phils bbq seeing its just ok.Maybe ill just say what the hell and rent a car or something!

RGBHV thanks for the offer and I hope your wife enjoys the concert...Im not a big BJ fan but my wife loves bon jovi.Im gonna do my best to get to the Ontario gas BBQ on that monday before we come back to kippens NL.

• Greeno55
    edited January 2013
    Alright ... Waiting for the "not a BJ fan" joke. Oh wait, did I just sort of make it? O:-)

On a more serious note, RGBHV makes a really good suggestion. Email Duff at Ontario Gas BBQ (duff@bbqs.com) and ask about shipping directly to your hotel and it can be waiting there for you. I'm currently out of DP and looking forward to my trip south in a couple weeks. Best of luck.
  • Little Steven
    Filthy Canadian humour right there Greeno :)>-

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Greeno55 said:
    LS, I love that store. The lump selection for one is unreal, and I've never gone in there and not be able to walk out with any accessory, BGE, or something else I was looking for. Actually, I usually end up walking out with way more than I anticipated. With all this talk though, I just remembered that Ontario Gas BBQ is closed weekends through January and February. It is a place I highly recommend. They are my Dizzy Pig suppliers. If anyone is in the area during the week, make a quick trip up the road to Edilcan to Vincentina Meats for the most delicious grilled steak sandwich you'll ever have. I hear their porketta is pretty darn good too.
    Good point! Totally forgot that they don't open on the weekends in the cool months

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven

Phil's BBQ is OK - but if you're looking for great - you'll be disappointed. I truly can't recommend a really good place for BBQ in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) unless you go to Little Steven's house.

Thought you were supposed to come over after Christmas tree hunting

:|

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    At Steve - got crazy busy in December this year, car died, bought new car,  and ended up buying our tree from the local greenhouse. Things start getting better in March. (gotta a daughter in University now - it's work work work)

Cheers,

Michael  
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

@Canman1976 for places to eat bbq there are a couple scattered around.  Here are a couple in the west end. 

Barque Smokehouse - Roncesvalles/High Park area.  Rated one of the best new restaurants in 2012.   www.barque.ca Wife wanted to take me there for father's day last year but they were doing some sampler menus and I just wanted the regular stuff. 

Paul and Sandy's Real BBQ - http://www.paulandsandysrealbarbecue.com/ The BBQ there is cheaper $$ but the portions are big and the quality good. 

You could probably get to both taking the bloor subway west to Etobicoke.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited January 2013

Im gonna do my best to get to the Ontario gas BBQ on that monday before we come back to kippens NL.

Monday Feb 18 is Family Day in Ontario.  I phoned Dickson BBQ and OGB, both confirmed they'll be closed that day.  It's unfortunate OGB is closed Sat/Sun in Jan/Feb, otherwise I can try driving you there from the subway.

Can't recommend a good BBQ place but this will be the coolest event in TO that weekend:
    http://toronto.thesearsgreatcanadianchill.ca/

Also, this is your best deal for unlimited public transit on Sat, Sun or public holiday in the city:
    http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Passes/Day_Pass/index.jsp

Check out this place if you can.  Just talked to Lili, they're opened on Monday 2/18:
    http://www.thestar.com/living/food/article/1048577--a-trip-to-tap-phong-the-utensil-heaven-where-top-chefs-rub-shoulders-with-home-cooks
    canuckland
  • CANMAN1976
    Damn...OGB closed on Monday too.I guess I'll just have to order some when I get back home.Thanks for those links canugghead.I may check out that utensil store,it looks interesting!

Gonna go to paul and sandys bbq for luch as well
    :)

• Canugghead
    another place you may want to visit:
    http://www.yelp.ca/biz/carousel-bakery-toronto
    canuckland
  • Canugghead,

I went to that Tap Phong place a year ago.  What a great store.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• gerhardk
    edited January 2013
    If you are looking for a place to eat Cherie and I went to Terroni last night, great pizza and even the salad was different and excellent. They bake their own bread from scratch, one of the best restaurant experiences in a long time. I know it's not BBQ but a great experience all the same. Gerhard http://www.terroni.com/~menu/Queen http://s1074.photobucket.com/albums/w419/gerhardk98/?action=view&current=6F7C7187-CA28-45BA-934E-ED3970A88AFD-2400-0000025F389BC545.jpg
  • Canugghead
    Tom, good to see you around, hope all is well with you and J.
    canuckland
  • Tom, good to see you around, hope all is well with you and J.
    Yep Gary, all is good.  Started lurking again a few months back and finally decided to post.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Little Steven

Hey Tom! Didn't see your first post.

Steve 

Caledon, ON