Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza without a pizza stone?

I was thinking about cooking a pizza this weekend, but I do not have a pizza stone to cook on.  Does anybody have any suggestions on ways to cook a pizza on a BGE without using a stone?  Or should I just put the pizza cook on hold until I get a stone?  Thanks for your help!
Hunter - LBGE
Oxford, MS

Comments

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Yu can always run on down to local B3 and get one, or even wallys. No bigger than a 16" if you have a large. But smaller will be fine. Walmart has some cheapos, but they work unless you go nuclear.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• I've read that using the Pampered Chef ones doesn't work.. Is that true?  Is there a temperature you should stay below if you use one of those?  I've been wanting to do a pizza myself but have held off for fear of cracking the stone I have..
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Leedog
    Leedog Posts: 18
    I've read that using the Pampered Chef ones doesn't work.. Is that true?  Is there a temperature you should stay below if you use one of those?  I've been wanting to do a pizza myself but have held off for fear of cracking the stone I have..

I have been using the Pampered Chef stoneware for a few years now with no problem. We use it inside and outside on grill. Have not cooked a lot of pizza outside but the times I did worked out great

• @bccomstock - I use the PC stone and haven't had any trouble with it. It's about 10 years old now, so maybe the newer ones are cracking?
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Leedog
    Leedog Posts: 18
    I was thinking about cooking a pizza this weekend, but I do not have a pizza stone to cook on.  Does anybody have any suggestions on ways to cook a pizza on a BGE without using stone

If I didn´t have the stone I would give a cast iron skillet a shot.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited January 2013
    I've cooked them right on the grate in my briquette days.  Set it up indirect, throw right on the grate, or use a cookie sheet. 
    I was thinking about cooking a pizza this weekend, but I do not have a pizza stone to cook on.  Does anybody have any suggestions on ways to cook a pizza on a BGE without using a stone?  Or should I just put the pizza cook on hold until I get a stone?  Thanks for your help!
    Do you have a platesetter?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    I started out using fire brick splits. You can get enough for a LBGE for 11 bucks. I would suggest ponying up the cash for a stone.

• I was thinking about cooking a pizza this weekend, but I do not have a pizza stone to cook on.  Does anybody have any suggestions on ways to cook a pizza on a BGE without using a stone?  Or should I just put the pizza cook on hold until I get a stone?  Thanks for your help!
    Do you have a platesetter?
    Yeah, I do have a platesetter.
    Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS
  • @nolaegghead I think I am probably just going to give it a try and see what happens!
    Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You can use the platesetter as a stone. If you want to go hot then put something in underneath. You can use a disposable pizza pan with sand in it or split firebricks.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I've cooked them right on the grate in my briquette days.  Set it up indirect, throw right on the grate, or use a cookie sheet. 
    I've done this quite a few times on my Chargriller with lump. Direct on the grate. Keep an eye on it.
  • I've read that using the Pampered Chef ones doesn't work.. Is that true?  Is there a temperature you should stay below if you use one of those?  I've been wanting to do a pizza myself but have held off for fear of cracking the stone I have..
    I had a Pampered Chef one used probably a dozen times with no problem at around 500 degrees, was preheating the egg one day and it got away from me a bit 650 degrees Pampered Chef stone now in 4 pieces. You maybe ok at lower temps but caution on higher temps.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • X2 on the CI skillet pizza
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • cdthomas23
    cdthomas23 Posts: 29
    edited January 2013
    I always do mine without the stone. A couple minutes direct on the first side. Then lower temp, add platesetter (or not, I have done it both ways) take it inside. Add your sauce, cheese, toppings. Take it back out and put it on the egg. The lower (and indirect) temps will let the cheese melt without charring the bottom. I haven't even tried the pizza stone yet, as my family likes it this way so well. It is fun also, as we do four smaller pies, so everyone gets theirs the way they want it.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    I used to do them on my gasser during the summer all the time, directly on the grate.  Grill just until the bottom is toasted, and then flip.  Dress while on the grill as quickly as you can (favorite toppings:  prociutto, feta cheese, VERY thinly sliced romas and mushrooms, sliced artichoke hearts, and on top, arugula and italian-herbed olive oil.  
    Grilled pizzas need a light hand with the toppings, hence their "summer" status.  
    For winter, try a Chicago-style pizza in a round cake pan, just make sure to cook indirect.   

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited January 2013
    Leedog said:
    I've read that using the Pampered Chef ones doesn't work.. Is that true?  Is there a temperature you should stay below if you use one of those?  I've been wanting to do a pizza myself but have held off for fear of cracking the stone I have..

I have been using the Pampered Chef stoneware for a few years now with no problem. We use it inside and outside on grill. Have not cooked a lot of pizza outside but the times I did worked out great

@bccomstock - I use the PC stone and haven't had any trouble with it. It's about 10 years old now, so maybe the newer ones are cracking?
    I had a Pampered Chef one used probably a dozen times with no problem at around 500 degrees, was preheating the egg one day and it got away from me a bit 650 degrees Pampered Chef stone now in 4 pieces. You maybe ok at lower temps but caution on higher temps.
    Thanks for the info everyone!
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Thanks guys!!! I'm thinking about trying a deep dish out in a CI skillet with indirect heat.  Any suggestions on temperature? 
    Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    Folks cooking pizzas indoors often use unglazed quarry tiles. Sometimes available at places like Home Depot. Shouldn't cost you more than a couple if bucks.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Thanks guys!!! I'm thinking about trying a deep dish out in a CI skillet with indirect heat.  Any suggestions on temperature? 
    450 for 35
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I've made at least one pizza week since Christmas.  I've got all the toys.  Since the end of this summer I have been using the Lodge CI pizza pan and the BGE perforated pan and have been getting excellent results.   The perforated is a crisper bottom crust as you would expect.  I like a thick crust pizza but I want the bottom of the crust to be crisp.

I still use the stone in my XL if Im in the mood, but the simplicity of these pans have made them front and center in my pizza kitchen.
  • Go to Wally World and buy a round pizza cook pan that has little holes in it.  It is better than nothing.  Just watch your bottom and make sure you are above the felt line with Plate Setter legs up.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!