Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CGS VS Wokshop Woks

Options
dlk7
dlk7 Posts: 1,053
I've been looking at woks and it seems the Wokshop woks are heavier than the CGS ones. Does that seem to make any difference in the cook?  Are there advantages to a hammered wok over a smooth one?  Thanks for your input.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Mine is from wok shop. I would just make sure to get carbon steel. I wasnt aware of CGS' woks at the time. I would probably buy from CGS now because Tom is one of us. Although WS was great to work with. I would think both would be fine. As long as they season, I personally dont think it matters. Mine is round bottom though-- flat bottom would be nice, but it is easy to get the food mixed with the round bottom.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I have the CGS wok and it is carbon steel. Buy it with the spyder and take all guess work out.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    From the various books I've read a hand hammered wok is usually thinner and lighter, but stronger than a machine made wok. The thinner wok heats quicker. As for the flat bottomed wok, they are made for use on a flat top electric range. A round bottom wok is better for high heat uses like a gas range. The round shape is said to be better for stir frying because the bowl concentrates the heat in the bowl area where most of the cooking is done. The food is easier to move around in a round bottom wok vs a flat bottomed one. 
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Thanks for the input - looks like I'll go with the 19 inch CGS.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI