Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Older Hobart Slicer, need some help

Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum

Talked to a teacher who cleaned up and is selling a Hobart #512 12" slicer from his school.  Comes with an extra blade and stainless tray.  He said one of the blades has a small nick, other is new.  Also states both slide and depth adjustment are smooth.  This model does not have a fixed sharpener but I have found them available for $120 online.  Local business will sharpen each blade for $12, says the older blades are better steel and depending on the size of the nick, will come out.  Blades alone run about $300. 

Only negative is he said there is a slight rubbing of the guard on the blade that won't effect the cutting edge or performance. 

Talked to him about the sharpening issue that he was completely honest about, and negotiated price down to $350.   

Several questions for you guys before I head out tonight to look at it.....

Is it worth it?

Do I need the attached sharpener?  Heard they are not the best anyways.  This won't be commercially used, would it be best to just take the blades annually to my sharpener if they hold an edge well?

Can I run it safely without the guard if the rubbing is a problem?

What to look for when purchasing these older machines?

Plan to take a block of cheddar and tools out to put it through it's paces and break it down.

Thanks in advance for your input.

@billyray, would you be able to post pics of your #1612?  Think they are similar, the #1612 is newer.  Little info out there on these things.  Found that a #412 Hobart is from the 1940s. 

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'd just pay to get the blades sharpened, then see how long it goes before they get dull.  I'll bet you don't need to sharpen them again for years, if ever.  It's a big blade (12*pi = 37.7" long) that never comes into contact with cutting boards, hopefully bones or anything harder than meat.  It's designed to run all day long in a commercial shop.

That Hobart is more expensive and probably a better peice of equipment, used and not sure what type of mileage it has on it?

Seems you could fix anything that could come up on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meat-Slicer-12-Blade-Commercial-Deli-Meat-Food-Slicer-Industrial-Quality-/360571691209?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f3bf60c9

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Focker

@nolaegghead,  On your old one, did the guard slightly rub on the blade?  If the guard is not true, do you think I can come up with a way to make it true?

@SMITTYtheSMOKER, Good point.  I have found a resource for replacement parts.  This thing is built like a tank and seems pretty straightforward in regards to mechanics. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @Focker - no, didn't have that problem.  I'm sure it's adjustable - maybe it could be shimmed or bent, or the part replaced.  I'd contact Hobart service.  We used to have a Hobart service center right next to where I worked - I've scavenged some nice mechanical stuff off the old equipment they'd throw out.
    Thanks man.  If I'm careful, could I run it without one?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited January 2013
    Focker said:
    You could do it if your not careful too. But then you'd be running without fingers.

On those older ones, you probably can. Newer ones that I have used have safety measures to prevent this, unless you jerry-rig it.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337

i would take the plunge but my slicer is a big ole POS!! like was mentioned before i doubt you would ever have to sharpen them again. plus look at how often you will be making itialian beefs if you had a good slicer.... btw thats what im makeing for the super bowl...

hope you are well my friend.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Focker
    Focker said:
    You could do it if your not careful too. But then you'd be running without fingers.

On those older ones, you probably can. Newer ones that I have used have safety measures to prevent this, unless you jerry-rig it.
    A little hard to start an IV with 3 digits.  :))
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited January 2013
    BENTE said:

i would take the plunge but my slicer is a big ole POS!! like was mentioned before i doubt you would ever have to sharpen them again. plus look at how often you will be making itialian beefs if you had a good slicer.... btw thats what im makeing for the super bowl...

hope you are well my friend.

Same goes for you and yours Terry. 

Italian beef sounds awesome.  Remember a post where you had those sleeves for Italian bread....good stuff   

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited January 2013

Focker Here's some pics of the one I picked up. This thing is a beast, has to weigh over 50 lbs. The sharpener I have is one you attach when you want to sharpen. You can see it on the counter in the first  pic. I would try to get yours fixed so the guard would be in place, better safe than sorry. I searched old hobart parts and found several sites that you can get just about anything you need.

Good luck

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Focker

@billyray

Very nice!!!! Thanks for taking the time to post pics.

Believe your sharpener may be the same for the #512.  Any idea on what year your #1612 was manufactured?

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• billyray
    edited January 2013
    I'm guessing the 60's,but not sure. I've seen the sharpen part for $99 on some sights. It attaches to the bottom of piece that adjust for thickness.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Focker

On a side note, you guys are the best.  

Appreciate the quick help.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker

billyray said:
    I'm guessing the 60's,but not sure. I've seen the sharpen part for $99 on some sights. It attaches to the bottom of piece that adjust for thickness.
    Does it work well?  Some don't like them, saying it's too easy to "burn" the blade with improper use.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• billyray

I haven't sliced anything yet. It'll be a few days before I try and I'll post when I do. I don't plan to use it improperly though. Here's a web sight for some 512 parts, if you haven't all ready found it.

http://www.oldhobartslicerparts.com/hobart512meatslicerparts.html

• Focker

Thanks again for the link.  The sharpeners I have seen, you press a button and it pushes the stone onto the blade, only touching for a couple of seconds.  One could easily "burn"/grind a blade down if used for too long. 

Looking forward to your post billyray.  Leaving shortly, bought a chub of baloney for 6 bucks to try it out.    :))

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I think it is a deal, buy it if you want a slicer.  

I saw someone fillet his thumb and that kind of cured me of wanting to own a slicer.  My first job was a dishwasher at a hotel when I was 16 and that included cleaning and sanitizing the slicer and band saw.  It was drummed into us to unplug them before doing anything else, actually they were always suppose to be unplugged when not in use.

Gerhard
  • Focker
    gerhardk said:
    I think it is a deal, buy it if you want a slicer.  

I saw someone fillet his thumb and that kind of cured me of wanting to own a slicer.  My first job was a dishwasher at a hotel when I was 16 and that included cleaning and sanitizing the slicer and band saw.  It was drummed into us to unplug them before doing anything else, actually they were always suppose to be unplugged when not in use.

Gerhard
    I hear ya Gerhard.  Keep thinking of Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler" at the Jewel/Osco deli counter.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• billyray
    edited January 2013
    Focker said:

Thanks again for the link.  The sharpeners I have seen, you press a button and it pushes the stone onto the blade, only touching for a couple of seconds.  One could easily "burn"/grind a blade down if used for too long. 

Looking forward to your post billyray.  Leaving shortly, bought a chub of baloney for 6 bucks to try it out.    :))

To sharpen after you attach the stones you open the gauge to 50 turn on the slicer then turn the knob clockwise until the back stone touches the blade for 5 seconds, then back off and turn the slicer off, this should form a burr on the front of the blade. Next turn it back on and press and hold the button this is the truing stone, turn clockwise again until contact of both stones for 3 seconds then back off. Turn off and feel the blade, repeat if not sharp and de-burred.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9FpPQB2GL0

• Focker

Well, decided to go for it.  Consistent cuts with the baloney at various depths.  Something is askew with the guard, slight rubbing on the side of blade nowhere near the edge?  Thinking about a thin stainless washer inbetween the guard and blade?

Can't thank you guys enough for the help.  Couple of weeks, I will have this cleaned, lubed, and sharpened.

For the KA pasta rollers, they recommend mineral oil for lubrication.  Would the same apply here?

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    @billyray, bookmarked the video
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited January 2013

@Mighty_Quinn,

Thanks man.  It's definitely used, a little abused.  This thing is a BEAST. 

Optimistic my sharpening guy can fix up the nick on one of the blades.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I've had my eyes open for one around here but no deals like that to be found...lots for $650...don't think I can justify that. (Yet anyway :)) )
  • Focker

:))

Been combing craigslist for quite some time.  Found a #210 Hobart that was in rough shape, guy wanted too much.  A Berkel recently for $600 in Iowa City, an hour away.

$650 is steep, I had a hard enough time forking out $350.  Having it within 20 miles was too hard to resist.    

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I'm in no rush...I have a crappy but more or less good enough one for my needs until I find the right one.
  • Focker
    edited January 2013

This is overkill, but a cool piece of history from the days when things were built to last.

With a little time, you will find one at the right price. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• billyray

Focker Here's the oil I'm ordering, I don't know if it's different than mineral oil, but you could call them or email and ask.

http://www.oldhobartslicerparts.com/catalog/item/7171633/9126203.htm

• Focker
    edited January 2013

@billyray, just printed out the 20 page instruction manual for the #512.  This #512 is from 1973, thought it would be a little older.

Here is a link for yours if you don't have it already.  Select Food Machines as Product Group.  Scroll down to slicers and you will see the #1612.

https://my.hobartcorp.com/resourcecenter/Pages/InstructOperManuals.aspx

Called out of curiosity to get a price for the knife guard.....$532!

Being a hardware guy yourself, any suggestions?  May try a washer to see if that raises it just enough. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• billyray

I found out my 1612 is from the late 70's-early 80's. Here's the price on a used guard. The washer would be worth a try first. I have the manual. Thanks

http://www.oldhobartslicerparts.com/catalog/item/7171633/9206884.htm