Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatlovers Calzones with pix

2»

Comments

• Those look tremendous, and nowhere close to being on my diet! How was your sauce/meat/cheese ratio? We always use our local pizza place's crust for this cook, but it seems that they're either too "wet" or not wet enough.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034

Can't  "weight" to be able to have one of these :))

Looks amazing

Shane

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448

Wow! And yet another to add to the "to egg" list.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Chubbs, I am in Lexington. I use either the Publix off of 378 or the one in the city limits on Sunset Blvd. It helps to allow the dough to come up to room temp out of the bag before rolling it out. It's tough to stretch at first, but will eventually get there.

Jay, not sure on the ratio. We just throw the ingredients in there to our own liking. We don't put sauce inside, we serve it for dipping on the side instead. I do like to dollop a good amount of ricotta in there to bulk it up a bit.
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Officially making these tonight, have the dough. One home made meatballs, the other pepperoni, mushroom and onion. Probably throwing in some roasted garlic in there somewhere too.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    jbates67 said:
    Officially making these tonight, have the dough. One home made meatballs, the other pepperoni, mushroom and onion. Probably throwing in some roasted garlic in there somewhere too.

Done them three times. They get better and better every time I do it.

Things I have learned using Dyal's recipe:

1)Ricotta is the star of the show IMO

2) lightly rub water on the lip of the bottom of the calzone so the top will stick nicely when you mash with a fork to form edge

3) egg wash is key to get the coloring and Dyals finsihing sauce with butter and garlic then a sprinke of parmesan is icing on the cake.

This has made the standard rotation for us---actually replaces pizza for now. Owe Dyal for posting this one...

:-c
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dyal_SC

@jbates67, that sounds great!  Can't wait to hear how they turn out!

@Chubbs, I agree that adding a good amount of Ricotta really makes the difference.  Bulks it up and adds a great creamy flavor.  And the garlic butter and parmesan really is the icing on the cake.  :)

• jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Mine didn't turn out quite as well as the Dyal's but I was happy with the results. More importantly, the wife and kids raved and said it was better than restaurant quality. One meatball and mozz, the other pepperoni, onion and mushroom. This will be on the rotation again very soon. Thanks for the original post Dyal.
  • Dyal_SC
    Those look perfect, @jbates67!  Nice job!