Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggfest in the Southeast?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    VI if you're trying to get back on a southerner's good side clips of my cousin Vinny might be the best way possible. I've seen way too much and I still love. Cracks me up.
    Me too, Fan.  Since we've been talking Top 5, My Cousin Vinney is surely in that group.

oh def. Can't go wrong with it. I am a young whipper snapper compared to most posters here but that and caddy shack are two that are older but hold up extremely well.
    It's amazing that many movies from that era stand up over time. Anything with Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, John Candy.... those early SNL and SCTV alums where(and still are) awesome!
  • I wish I was in the Southeast right now, like Key West.  It's 17 degrees where I'm at right now.
  • Bham_egger
    Bham_egger Posts: 196
    edited January 2013
    This thread has takes some interesting routes! Kinda like driving' down the Alabama back roads.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Magic grits...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    This thread has takes some interesting routes! Kinda like driving' down the Alabama back roads.

You never know where you might end up. Is that a tuna in your photo?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee said:

Yes, 180# Yellowfin. I'm 6'4" 250, to give some perspective.
  • JRWhitee

Nice Catch, gulf of Mexico?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee said:

JRWhitee said:

Yes, we were about 120 miles south of Orange Beach, AL. Actually, about 10 miles from the Deepwater Nautilus, which is the rig that blew up in 2010.
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    MountainEgg.com is the site for the N. GA Eggfestr held in the middle of May. It was pretty good last year. This will be their 3rd year for an Eggfest.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited January 2013
    Scrapple has got to be the strangest thing I've never eaten. My in laws are from PA and talk about it. Sounds horrendous.
    I may very well be the strangest thing, but it's the best pork breakfast food in America. Think about all those pork products you smoke and love on the egg: ribs, butts, shoulders, belly. Take all those parts, mix them together in a loaf (plus MAYBE a few other pieces of pir), adding some spices and herbs (sounds like a rub?), then pan frying it. Crispy on the outside and gooey in the middle. It's the best thing ever.
    Dunedin, FL
  • JRWhitee said:

JRWhitee said:

Yes, we were about 120 miles south of Orange Beach, AL. Actually, about 10 miles from the Deepwater Nautilus, which is the rig that blew up in 2010.

Is that a Whitey in your pic?
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I just asked my buddy from Maryland about scrapple. He got very excited. I'm still thinking I'll need a stiff drink before I try. And I've eaten balut
    Boom
  • JRWhitee

Is that a Whitey in your pic?
    My daughters first ocean catch off Cabo, Marley as she named it, we caught 2 of those that day and 4 yellowfin that were about 1/3 size of yours.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I just asked my buddy from Maryland about scrapple. He got very excited. I'm still thinking I'll need a stiff drink before I try. And I've eaten balut
    Boom
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    This is a Cincy favorite.  Not sure how it compares to Scrapple though.

My buddy smokes goetta on his egg quite a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goetta
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• henapple
    Tried goetta this past summer. Pretty good.
  • yzzi said:

Scrapple has got to be the strangest thing I've never eaten. My in laws are from PA and talk about it. Sounds horrendous.

I may very well be the strangest thing, but it's the best pork breakfast food in America. Think about all those pork products you smoke and love on the egg: ribs, butts, shoulders, belly. Take all those parts, mix them together in a loaf (plus MAYBE a few other pieces of pir), adding some spices and herbs (sounds like a rub?), then pan frying it. Crispy on the outside and gooey in the middle. It's the best thing ever.

I love some spam all fried up. Guess ain't much different.

XLBGE 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    @fanoffanboys.  Truth be known, I love grits too, as long as it has a half cup of butter on it.  :D

Yeah yeah, grits are staple in the south. Why dont you give "Growder" a whirl. Grits and Clam Chowder stirred up in a bowl. Good eats.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs said:
    @fanoffanboys.  Truth be known, I love grits too, as long as it has a half cup of butter on it.  :D

Yeah yeah, grits are staple in the south. Why dont you give "Growder" a whirl. Grits and Clam Chowder stirred up in a bowl. Good eats.
    Actually, my wife makes Cheese Grits that are to die for.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• VI if you're trying to get back on a southerner's good side clips of my cousin Vinny might be the best way possible. I've seen way too much and I still love. Cracks me up.
    Me too, Fan.  Since we've been talking Top 5, My Cousin Vinney is surely in that group.

oh def. Can't go wrong with it. I am a young whipper snapper compared to most posters here but that and caddy shack are two that are older but hold up extremely well.
    And, what's most funny about it is that they make stereotypes of both northerners and southerners. 

From The Onion :

Click here to view larger image

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'm in Maryland. I get very excited about Scrapple, especially the spicy stuff. If anything, think of it as really finely ground sausage. It's just offal, which is about six levels above your duck embryo and 2 or 3 above Rocky Mountain Oysters.
  • I'm now in the mood for some grits! And I agree we need an egg fest in the southeast.
  • Hey, folks....

I am all for having an Eggfest in the Southeast!!  And, +1 on FanofBoys suggestion for an EggFest in Charlotte!!  Let's get 'er dunnn!
  • henapple
    I'd go...
  • Hey, folks....

I am all for having an Eggfest in the Southeast!!  And, +1 on FanofBoys suggestion for an EggFest in Charlotte!!  Let's get 'er dunnn!

I'd probably go to one in Charlotte over Atlanta.

• Eggfest in the Southeast ?  I wouldn't think chit'lins, cown pone, or grits would cook very well on an Egg.   =))
    VI......you will have to try my skewered Teriyaki chitlins.  They are to die for.....literally.  A huge family favorite down here at the trailer park.  Ain't nothin like sittin here on the front porch on grannies old couch and searing off those teriyaki chitlins on my mini!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Egging in the mountains is a really good fest in a really cool area. Its in Hiawasee Georgia in the north Georgia fairgrounds. I went the first 2 years and its getting really big now. The 100 cook tickets sold out in 13 hours this year and more people like me have to bring our own eggs to cook.
  • henapple
    What are the dates..
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352

Griffin said:

@yzzi - can't 'member who it was (he's on the other forum, not his one), but he was making scrapple next to me at the Plano Eggfest. Retired something or other? Loco? I don't know, but those handles are ringing bells.

@henapple - I don't think VI said anything about race. He just mentioned some things southerners are steroetyped to eat.

If we can't make inappropriate regional stereotypes here, why even bother logging on?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

Georgia Mountain Eggfest link

http://mountainegg.com/