Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where do you buy your meats

Options
2»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Hey @Eggcelsior how does KCBS membership relate to restaurant depot? Did I miss something here? Do CBJs have access to restaurant depot?

Very excited about this...

B_B

What thailandjohn said. Take the KCBS card in they will give you a daily pass.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    texbagger said:

krames said:

I have been really happy with the baby back ribs and brisket I have purchased at Costco. Their prices are MUCH cheaper than the local grocery store (HEB and Central Market). Central Market is always great, but pricey. Aside from a nice cheap pork butt, I haven't been too impressed with HEB's selection and quality.

I am hoping to check out some more local butchers in San Antonio.

Agreed on the COSTCO Krames, ribs are membrane free when you buy the ribs in the foam pack. Notr sure about the cryo paks being membrane free, I'm not so good at pulling the membrane and have never been disappointed in ribs from Costco!

My cryovacs from Costco have always been membrane-free. I usually get baby backs though.
  • Pacuare
    Pacuare Posts: 77
    Options
    I buy meat mostly at the commissary and Sam's.. Sam's is an hour away so we don't shop there often. I have always thought Sam's has consistently good prices and quality. The quality and selection at the commissary is hit and miss. There are times they are completely out of basic things like hamburger and chicken breasts. How that happens is beyond me. Every once in a while I pick up meat at McKay's especially when they have whole beef tenderloins for $9.99 a lb. The meat I have purchased there has been good, but they are usually pricey when not on sale.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Mike8it said:
    @shucker Is your avatar an ecu pirate? If so are you in Greenville and is your grandparents place close to Greenville?

It is an ECU Pirate.  Im about an hour northeast of Greenville and so is the family meat market.

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Phoenix824
    Options

Every year we have a couple or farmer friends who sell us a whole steer and a whole hog.    Great quality meat at a cheap price.  

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • AHill10
    Options

best place in America....M & T Meats in Hawkinsville, Ga......they have planes of people flying in to get meat there.....you should try it...

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Rest Depot, Costco, Teeter & Publix
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Costco
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Hotwingking
    Options
    Cash n Carry has good prices, if I only want a couple of steaks it's QFC, Silvana Meats, or Del Fox Meats, I live just north of Seattle.
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Local meat market, Casey's Meats, in Western Springs, IL, has great meat and great guys to deal with. Worth paying the premium in my opinion. Also buy some at Whole Foods but rarely at Jewel, our supermarket. Not great meat there.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I recently found great chicken at Trader Joes, but usually go to Costco for prime beef, veal chops, tuna steaks, lobster tails, and salmon. HEB for pork butts and shrimp, Kroger or HEB for spare ribs. Sadly, no local butchers around me in the Houston area.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Oh and I think KCBS membership gives you a day pass to Restaurant Depot unless the policy has changed. I went once and got a good deal on a leg of lamb. They had Lazzari lump too which I should have picked up but didn't.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.