Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston Butt (Pics)

mangasb
mangasb Posts: 14
Long time reader, first time poster.

Put my first Boston butt on the LBGE about 20 minutes ago.  7.3 lbs bone-in.  Shooting for 250-275 degrees for11-13 hours, using soaked apple chips.  Covered it in yellow mustard and then rubbed with Everglades Cactus Dust.  Wrapped in saran wrap overnight.  I tied it because I didn't know how soft it would get.

The challenge for the morning is the outside temperature.  Currently is 31 degrees and sunrise isn't for another hour and a half or so.  I brought the plate setter in with me last night so it wouldn't have to warm up from being frozen as well.  Took a bit to get the dome temperature stabilized, but last check, it was holding at 260 degrees.  I wish I had remote temperature monitoring as I'll being in church for hours 4-6 of the cook.  I'm sure God would understand.

Updates to follow.

Comments

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Good luck with that brisket! Be sure to post pictures of the end results. 

31 degrees should be no trouble, I've used my Egg down to 12 degrees so far this Winter and the only changes I've had to make weren't to the Egg. I need to wear more clothes to stay warm. My Eggs seem unphased by the cold weather.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Remember cook to temp not time. Not sure that you are going to be in that time range with that EGG temp. I am currently running 250 and have two butts on for the last 16 hours and am at 150 internal right now, oh how I love the stall. There is lots of info on the forum about doing a turbo butt at a higher temp if you need to finish by a specific time. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Egg noob here... Do the butts get so soft you have tie them up? If so, what did you use? I want to cook a butt in the coming weeks.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Myself I have never had the need to tie a Butt, bone in or boneless, this has never been a problem for me. I get my Butts from Sams Club and it is a 60/40% that they will be boneless. Put them in the EGG at 250 and walk away and avoid the temptation to play with them.

Cook to temp and done not to time. - This is the mantra I learned from this forum.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • mangasb
    7.5 hours of cook time at 250-275 and meat temp is at 186.  Forcing myself to stay inside to avoid sneaking a peak.  Might go hit some wedge shots from 150yd in.

Going to pull off at 195 and wrap in foil/towel and cooler to let it rest for an hour or so.
  • mangasb

Ended up getting distracted with some other stuff around the house and didn't take the meat off until it was at 201 degrees.  Total cook time was 10h45m.  Let it rest for an hour wrapped in foil and blanket in the cooler.  Bark was delicious and had a nice smoke ring.

Thanks to the forum for the tips I borrowed along the way.