Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pheasant and Quail

Good Evening Everybody!!!! I took some customers quail hunting on Friday. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas/suggestions of how to prepare quail or pheasant? Thanks!! TarHeelsBBQ

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Quail with a jalapeño wrapped in bacon. Not a clue on the pheasant.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• It depends on how you cleaned the quail. If you just kept the breast then bacon wrap is the way to go . If you have the whole bird then cook it like a mini spatchcock chicken your choice of seasoning. If you have a wok you can also filet out the breast and make a stir fry. As far as pheasant I have only cooked that once and it didn't turn out that well so no clue!
  • duck_hunter
    duck_hunter Posts: 185
    edited January 2013
    pheasant is great with mushrooms and onions

I usually brine with sugar, syrup, onions, garlic, cloves, and lemon and cayenne pepper overnight 

1 1/2 hrs at 350ish add sautéed mushrooms and onions, I serve over long grain rice

I have not ventured past the ABT approach to quail

Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    I did pheasant recently- look for post. Brined for 3 hours in salt, sugar and peppercorns. I rubbed some DP on them and wrapped in bacon- cooked raised direct at 350 until 160 internal. Even the kids liked them.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Tarheel- where did you go? I have been to primeland and moree's - just wondering if there was anywhere else around here. My customers love this too- I just bought a beretta silver pigeon 20 and ready to go give it a try.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Pheasant: Adam brings this frozen to the Florida Mini Fest and they are great with eggs and hash browns in the morning after an all night (at least for them younger ones) party.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=846789&catid=1

Quail: This is the way I do whole quail:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=851401&catid=1
  • thanks for all the suggestions. will let everyone know how they turn out when i cook them. can't tonight and i will be in amarillo/lubbock all week. Wolfpack....allen brothers preserve. it's in bladenboro nc. the quail flew amazing to be raised birds. great dog work and a fantastic lodge. the people there are great. they make you feel right at home and take good care of you. i promise you wont be disappointed. i have been to primeland but it was a very long time ago. i've never been moree's. i have the same gun in a 12 gauge. beretta is the only way to go. i shoot extrema two as a duck gun. i want a 12 gauge sXs beretta. too many hobbies and not enough cash
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    @TarHeelBBQ maybe not great for this time, but at some point marinate a pheasant in Italian dressing overnight then cook direct at about 350 until done. It'll be one of the best things you've ever made.

So simple it sounds sacrilegious, but it really works.

Cheers all -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI