Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last min advice for pizza

Good afternoon to all, I am going to try and make pizzas for the first time on the egg tonight and was looking for any last min advice. The dough will be made from scratch due to us having a gluten allergy and needing gluten free dough. How long will the pizza take to cook? I think everyone puts their plate setter with legs down correct? Does anyone have any experience with GF pizza's? Thanks in advance for any comments.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Just lit the Egg for pizza here.  Platesetter, legs down, then the little green feet (or something to raise stone) then pizza stone.  I use parchment paper to transfer to the Egg, and after a minute or so, slide the paper out.  I go 550 - 600, and depending on thickness about 8 - 10 minutes.
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    I do cook PS legs down with pizza stone raised on some fire bricks to get it a little higher in the dome. Once I get it going, I'll shoot the stone with a laser thermometer to make sure it's nice and hot. Usually I let it heat for a half hour or so. I am also a part of the school who puts the dough on parchment paper to make it easier to get on the stone and turn after a few minutes for even heating. I do usually pull it half way through to help crisp up the bottom of the crust. The answer to the question how long does it take is unfortunately, it takes as long as it takes. While I don't look often, I generally cook my pizza around 600° and depending on the crust and toppings has taken anywhere between 6-12 minutes. I'll usually look after 3 or 4 minutes and give it a spin for even heating, then again at 6 or 8 minutes checking for doneness and see what the crust looks like underneath and go another minute or two more if needed. Good luck, and be patient. I've made a few mistakes along with way, but am getting pretty good at it.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

What kind of flour are you using?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Not sure what my wife uses. I will find out in a min. I know sometimes we use a bobs redmill mix that is already blended. And the other crust she makes has a blend of flours in it
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I don't know about gluten free but with the pizza dough I make it is best if I make it the day before we bake the pizza.

Gerhard
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2013
    Some flours take a little longer to cook. Quinoa, millet and corn for exapmple

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    edited January 2013
    I do it PS legs up, the grate on the legs and pizza stone on the grate (or on the feet to get it a little higher) - doesn't seem to concentrate the heat on the gasket that way - I put the pizza on parchment paper to get it on the stone and then pull the parchment after a few minutes - total cook time should be about 10 minutes at 450 degrees - make sure the stone is up to temperature - probably let it heat up for at least 30 minutes after your egg gets to 450
  • Firemanyz
    First pizza went in. Thanks for all the feedback
  • Firemanyz
    First pizza is done. Second just went on. Have to say bit of first was GREAT. Problem with gluten free pizza normally is it is to moist. Egg cooked the water out of it @ 600 degrees.
  • Firemanyz
    All I can say is yum. Five pizzas later my wife was glad I pushed her to let me cook them on the egg versus the oven.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Nice cook. Glad the GF worked out.