Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorry, but another grid upgrade thread...

Options
I need to upgrade my large egg to have more real estate. Don't know if I should look into AR from CGS or the swing rack from CGW. I already have a platesetter, various heat deflectors, and a spider. For that reason, I am thinking the swing rack. Can the Swing rack go on top of the platesetter for two tier indirect cooks or will this be too high in the dome? Any help, thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I have seen pics of the swing grate on a plate setter so I think it would work. Unfortunately, all of these companies seem to dislike MBGE owners, so I cannot comment on my experience with one as it does not exist.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very happy with my 2 Adj Rigs on the Larges.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Very happy with my 2 Adj Rigs on the Larges.

Mick, that was my initial plan, but given my current eggsessories, would it make sense? With storage and money in mind what would you do you veteran egger you?
  • Mickey
    Options
    If the you, you speak of is the you meaning myself then yes you think good idea. You get that you?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Options
    Mickey said:
    If the you, you speak of is the you meaning myself then yes you think good idea. You get that you?

Thanks. You dog you. You think you answered the question I asked you? This is getting confusing now....

:))

Seriously though, you would go with AR even though I already have the platesetter and spider?

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Yes the Swing Rack can be used with the plate setter. I use it legs up and put a drip pan under the food. There is plenty of room to put things on the top rack, if you do a big chunk of meat just make sure the dome thermometer isn't hitting the meat. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Mickey
    edited January 2013
    Options

Yes, I have a platesetter (not much used but came with first large) and spider. Was thinking of doing a new type Woo just because of the platesetter and seeing Tom use it in Plano (real neat to pick up and out of the egg). But when I ordered another Large I called Tom to get a ???? sent for it. He never said not to order a Woo but in talking with him I went back with the  AR and added the "new style" extention. My though was the AR in in the old Large 80% of the time (note the spider is in 100% of the time, so ordered another spider as well) and decided that was what I wanted in the new Large.

My suggestion to anyone buying a Large is to add asap the  adj rig (i think about $70) and build on as finance is there.

• Chubbs
    Options
    Mickey said:

Yes, I have a platesetter (not much used but came with first large) and spider. Was thinking of doing a new type Woo just because of the platesetter and seeing Tom use it in Plano (real neat to pick up and out of the egg). But when I ordered another Large I called Tom to get a ???? sent for it. He never said not to order a Woo but in talking with him I went back with the  AR and added the "new style" extention. My though was the AR in in the old Large 80% of the time (note the spider is in 100% of the time, so ordered another spider as well) and decided that was what I wanted in the new Large.

My suggestion to anyone buying a Large is to add asap the  adj rig (i think about $70) and build on as finance is there.

Thanks for the input. I respect your suggestions.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Mickey said:

Yes, I have a pl

Now you are just making fun of me. Hay, let's talk about VI.....................................

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    I have a LBGE and just got the 2 tier swing rack for Christmas.  I haven't tried using the platesetter with both tiers yet.  When I used the platesetter the other night, I removed the top tier.

The top tier can be adjusted lower, so maybe if you had something flat-ish on the bottom (thighs, wings, burgers??), you could still put something on the top tier and get the lid closed?? 

If I get out there this weekend, I'll test it out and let you know.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Chubbs said:
    Mickey said:

Yes, I have a pl

Now you are just making fun of me. Hay, let's talk about VI.....................................
    Not making fun of you. That is why I asked you personally. But yes, lets make fun of VI..............
  • Mickey
    Options
    Chubbs  This one time VI went to band camp and.....................

• Chubbs
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hey Mickey.... pop quiz hotshot...Do you think @VI is:

A) Wokking a squirrel

B) Blogging

C) Reving his moped engine in his carport

D) Waxing his camera

E) Installing a solar panel to his stoker

F) All of the above

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    "Wokking a squirrel"  =))
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Well not B for sure. Safe bet is A....

• Chubbs
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Well not B for sure. Safe bet is A....

Trick question. Answer is G--- none of the above. He is writing a 2 star review for Sous Vide.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Waxing his stoker...that sounds wrong.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN