Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally....Some Cold Smoked Bacon

Options
Thanks a bunch to Focker and CT for advice the other day when it was frigid here and I was wondering how cold ambient temperature was too cold for cold smoking. I had two 5lb sections of cured (savory) belly waiting to smoke...I ended up holding off for a day and decided to roll one to hang to dry for pancetta. image The other got a 12 hour cold smoke using apple chunks for smoke. Sorry no before pics, but it looked pretty much the same..the cold smoking added maybe just a hint of color. imageimage Cold smoking is definitely the way to go. we fried some up last night for bacon cheeseburgers...much better texture (I think hot smoked bacon has a ham-like texture, especially the ends...but I think the hot smoked end pieces are better for beans, greens, and whatever other dishes than the cold smoked ends will be). thanks again guys!

Comments